Veiled Chameleons anyone?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Bec, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I am so excited! [​IMG]

My parents are getting my son his first Veiled Chameleon in 2 weeks for his birthday! My husband and I used to have them and we miss them terribly, but since we have been in our new house, we haven't gotten any! We had one named Lou for years, he was huge! He was given to us by someone who could no longer care for him, he was my buddy, but hated my hubby for some reason ...lol!
    Then we had a male and female, Daisy and Diego. We had them for a long time. She passed away at only 2 years old, we think she may have been egg bound [​IMG] A few years later Diego passed away and we have been missing them ever since.
    My son keeps telling us he wants one but doesn't know yet that he is getting one! My mom's Veiled that she had for 5 years just passed away last year so luckily she has everything we need because sometime in the past 5 years and 2 houses later, we have no idea what we did with all of our stuff. Probably at my in-laws [​IMG]

Anyone else have Chameleons?

2. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    We had one named Louie, He died this past Sept he was 6. He was ancient! Hubby built an immaculate cage for him so we are deciding if we want another chameleon or a tree dwelling snake.

Here is a pic of him
    [​IMG]

3. Bec

Awww! That pic makes me smile [​IMG] That was about the size of our big guy! I am so sorry for you loss [​IMG] A snake would be cool! My hubby doesn't like them so no snakes for me for a while, but a tree dwelling species would be so cooL!

He was beautiful! Louie must be a popular name, mine was Lou but we called him Louie, then my mom's name was Louie! Her Jacksons had a more original name, his name was jack...lol

4. chickygirl2

chickygirl2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    upper marlboro. md
    Wow ! They are gorgeous! I guess I never saw one of those before..............[​IMG]

5. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    My husband named it Louie after the budweiser ones. That could be why it was popular! We already have three snakes so I would rather have another chameleon. Louie was bad though you had to hand feed him, he would not eat on his own if you just tossed crickets in so hopefully the next will be better. I would love to get a couple pygmy ones or the panther.

Make sure you post pics when you get it!

6. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I had one with the 3 horns. For the life of me I cant remember what they are. His name was Otis. Unfortunatly, I was given bad advice and he only lived about 8 months. I was heartbroken that I had probably let him die a slow death.

7. JP33

JP33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Southeast, Louisiana
    Quote:You had a Jackson's chameleon.

...JP

8. Bec

Veileds are the most hardy out of the chameleon species. Jacksons are a little harder to start with. We had Jack for about 3 or 4 years.

The Panthers are beautiful!

We are getting him/her at a reptile show on the 19th, I am so excited!!

It's funny that you say Louie was picky, so was ours....he would ONLY eat out a cup and when he did, the cup with flip up over his head LOL But he wouldn't eat unless the wax worms or crickets were in the cup!

9. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    We used to have veileds too. They are a lot of fun to watch. I liked when they did the egyptian dance. They were great for eating all of those flys that hatch from earthworms and crawl into the house. We would just move their ficus trees to the windows where the flys were gathering and they would have a ball.

10. Bec

Hahahaha, that is funny! Hubby calls it the shuffle! We were watching some on youtube, they are funny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by