1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

vein cut in americauna rooster in the foot just below the nail joint, spewing blood without a rubber

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by caspeer, Nov 23, 2014.

1. caspeer

caspeer New Egg

Feb 19, 2012
    My rooster cut his foot just below the joint of nail. He is bleeding badly without a rubberband on the toe. Please advise.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Putting flour on the wound will help it stop bleeding.

3. caspeer

caspeer New Egg

Feb 19, 2012
    Can I take the rubberband off? He is such a good rooster; I hate for something bad to happen to him.

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Constricting blood flow too tightly for too long would cause cells to die in the toe. As soon as the bleeding lessens enough, I would switch to a Bandaid, or a tiny piece of paper towel secured by sports tape or masking tape, so it is not as tight. Also, if you can hold the rooster in your lap a while, you can put gentle pressure on the bandage with your fingers to help slow the blood flow until the blood clots more.
    I'm glad you saw his problem right away & are helping him!

5. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Also, for the next few days, it would help him to get extra nutrition as he rebuilds the lost blood. A vitamin/mineral supplement such as children's PolyVisol (Choose the kind WITHOUT added iron), cooked egg yolk, etc.

6. caspeer

caspeer New Egg

Feb 19, 2012
    Thank you so much. I'll take the band off and rely on flour and bandage and pressure.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

How is he this morning?

8. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I had a hen with a similar injury a few weeks ago. I went to open up the hen house in the morning and it was like a blood bath. She had blood all over her head, neck and body as well as a puddle under the roost and trails of it across the floor. It took me a while to catch her and clean her up. I assumed the injury was on her face/comb but she must have rubbed or scratched her face with her injured foot to get blood on it, so I had to check her all over before I realised it was her foot. I ended up standing her in a warm sea salt bath for 20 mins, but the bleeding had stopped long before that, so it was really just to clean it up. She recovered absolutely fine although she no longer has a claw on that toe. What shocked me was how much blood could come from a toe!
    Hope your rooster makes a full recovery too.

Best wishes

Barbara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by