1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Veining at 4 days (candling) good? Weird yolk? *ADDED PICS*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Barbedwirecat, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    I know everyone says 7 days to see the air pocket, but I wanted to sneak a peek since I had never candled before. I candled about 5 of my eggs quickly (out of 21 or so) and all seem to have veining and a red dot (NOT a circle) in the yolk part. Is that good?

I also candled from the small end. Since the eggs are in a Autoturner positioned small end down. It seems like the yolks are all the way at the top (large end) of the eggs? and they don't seem round, they seem to be taking up just the top. They were shipped eggs. I'm worried they might have gotten knocked around to much, or maybe I'm just being paranoid?

I'm going to try for a pic, dunno how that will go.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  2. Sounds good to me. At least, that's I see the few times I've candled at Day 4.

3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Quote:x2. My first hatch, I candled every day, just to watch the buggers grow. And thats what I saw on day 4 as well. [​IMG]

4. Barbedwirecat

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    OK cool, freaked me out for a second I was like "Oh noes postal delivery service scrambled my eggies!" I founf someone else on here that posted pics on day 4 and it looks exactly like them. I even see the air pocket!! (I should see that right?)

Here's some pics:

candle bottom:
    [​IMG]

top:
    [​IMG]

top side:
    [​IMG]

Kinda hard to see, sorry I decided to wear gloves just in case.

5. That's a beautiful start! They are developing embryos now and not 'just eggs'.
    Keep them growing!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

6. mommywoes

mommywoes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Looks good to me!! Good luck! [​IMG]

7. Barbedwirecat

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    WOOHOO thanks guys! It's going to be a loooong day till hatch day [​IMG]

8. HathawayHens

HathawayHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    DeLand, FL
    yeah they look great! I just took a cool video of one of mine at ten days, but i don't know if you can post those here, so I had to settle for my FB page. [​IMG]

9. Barbedwirecat

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    LOL! You have another "like"! I'm totally watching it now...[​IMG]

10. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

Well done as they look fine and you'll see rapid growth and changes from this point [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by