1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

veining? dead?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by glisteningpearl, Mar 14, 2012.

1. glisteningpearl

glisteningpearl New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    Is it possible to have a dead duck embryo even though there is distinct veins in the egg, but dark veins? They are probably at day 8

2. AnimalLady123

AnimalLady123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    Post pics

3. glisteningpearl

glisteningpearl New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
  4. glisteningpearl

glisteningpearl New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    Quote:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012
  5. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    give few more days and see how much the veins grow. . if its the same it died. but the center should become darker !! handled with care and good luck !!!

6. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Well the head is usually darker then the body, so maybe that's what you are seeing.

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Is it possible? Yes. In a case of embryonic death, the vessels will lose blood volume and the blood becomes thick and oxygen levels bottom out. These changes cause the physical structure of the vessels to become darker and thready. If you're not confident in your candling skills, incubate a few more days and re-candle, comparing to the other eggs. No matter what, don't let that egg go bad and explode in your incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by