Veins attached?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sterkfarm, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Sterkfarm

Sterkfarm Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2013
    Milton, ON
    Hi guys, newbie q. Here goes: this is my first time incubating and I'm on day 7 today. What I can't find info on is whether or not the vein 'spiderweb' that forms, it it supposed to be attached (I.e. 'fixed') to the shell? If I give the eggs a gentle turn over the candler I can see the embryos floating around but the veins are not budging....is this correct or did I not turn enough and now they're stuck?? I am turning three times a day. Also a side note, some are further developed it seems. How is this possible? They are all the same breed and were set at the same time but collected over a week. If that corollary q needs a separate thread that's cool too.
    So the veins....fixed - good or bad?

2. Lynnae4913

Lynnae4913 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    High Springs, Fl.
    Far from being an expert on this subject, I will say that I believe what you observed is normal. I have just candled eggs for the first time in my life last night and the veins did not move in mine either. The babies were certainly active! If I remember what I have read correctly, there is an inner membrane which is where those blood veins are. I'm sure someone else will jump in here soon and give you some assurance. [​IMG]

3. Sterkfarm

Sterkfarm Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2013
    Milton, ON
    Thanks for the reassurance, phew! I think the better way to phrase the question is to describe it like a human pregnancy; placenta (veins) attached, baby (embryo) free floating. If I'm on the right track with that thinking than fingers crossed! I'm using an old brower unit which was in such rough shape I did not believe would actually turn on....but after a good cleaning and rewiring I can keep the temp between 100 and 102, and the embryos appear to be thriving! So I'm feeling like if anything hatches it will be a miracle....except these are valuable eggs that I bought so I'm totally hovering and panicking....lol

4. Lynnae4913

Lynnae4913 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    High Springs, Fl.
    I think just about everybody hovers and worries! This is my first time in a home built incubator. I built it into the top of an old entertainment unit. The bottom, where the TV would go, will be my brooder. Thing that worries me... is it is outside. This is Florida. Hot and humid... and I worried what my temperature swings were going to be inside the bator, when I was dealing with 15-20+ degree swings outside. I ran it empty for a week and I reckon I've got it insulated pretty darned good as I've managed to keep mine between 99.5 and 100.5. Running 2 small computer fans, I assume at this point, it's gonna work out ok. For my set up, 102 would be freaking me out. I worry about too hot more than I fret about the cooler end. I can hardly wait till Friday (day 10) to check them again. I had 2 or 3 that MAY be clear, but I'm giving them a bit more time. Those eggs are pretty hard to candle. I almost want to do some white eggs to better gain experience about what I am seeing. Thank goodness for the people who have posted the pictures on here so newbies like me can see what it's supposed to look like! Without that help, I never would have known I had 2 bad eggs that needed to go. That could have been a disaster!

Good luck and keep me posted on your progress!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by