Veins in fresh egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by genuineblossom, Mar 28, 2015.

1. genuineblossom

genuineblossom New Egg

Mar 28, 2015
    Hi there! I am new to BYC. Glad to be here. [​IMG]

Lately when I crack open eggs from my backyard hens, occasionally I will find yellowish whites, threaded with veins and a chick embryo. Not appetizing. The hens are about 9 months old and this has just started in the last few weeks.

The eggs are laid and collected every day. They are stored at room temp for a day or so, then washed and refrigerated. I do have a rooster and one broody hen who is setting (day 21 today!).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    That is not possible in an egg collected the same day it was layed. Someone may be collecting your broody's eggs. The eggs you are finding were incubated long enough to allow development.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Do you have your broody seperated from the rest of your layers?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do you have pics of what you're calling embryos? Lots of folks see meat spots and think they're chick development. But I agree if you're getting vein development your eggs are getting incubated at least partially.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Unless you're just seeing blood streaks. Yes, pic. please!

6. Rowsdower

Rowsdower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    You guys do realize that we are all sitting here anxiously awaiting pics of what has been described as an unappetizing yellow yolk threaded with veins and an undeveloped embryo? Chicken people ARE nuts! lol

1 person likes this.
  7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Welcome to our club!

We wait for pictures of poop too....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by