1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Venison for chicken feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by illinichick, Apr 8, 2008.

1. illinichick

illinichick Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    I have several pounds of ground venison that I do not care to eat. Can I fry it and give it to my 7 month old hens as protein?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, not a problem. Just don't spice it up like you would with salt or extras. :p

3. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    Quote:What language is this you are speaking? I seem to recognize the words, but they do not make any sense.

not eat venison?

[​IMG]

Cassandra

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I just cooked two huge deer bones I had in the freezer I was saving for the chickens. I cooked them down until all slivers of meat had fallen off then I mixed in some cooked white rice. You would have thought they were in vegas at an all you can eat steak and seafood bar! LOL

5. My chickens (if I had any yet) would have to fight me for that venison. I have several lovely ideas for cooking it...heh.

6. illinichick

illinichick Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    We grill all the other parts of venison but I have a hard time coming up with recipes for the ground venison. I use it for chili. My husband doesnt eat any vegetables other than potatos so it's hard to find a way to fix a meal that he will eat, especially the ground venison.

7. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    I don't want to hijack your thread. But I WOULD like to talk about ground venison recipes. So I'm gonna go start a thread in the appropriate place.

I'm sure your chickens will LOVE you for the treat. [​IMG]

Cassandra

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: