Venison for chicken feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by illinichick, Apr 8, 2008.

1. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    I have several pounds of ground venison that I do not care to eat. Can I fry it and give it to my 7 month old hens as protein?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, not a problem. Just don't spice it up like you would with salt or extras. :p

3. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    Quote:What language is this you are speaking? I seem to recognize the words, but they do not make any sense.

not eat venison?

[​IMG]

Cassandra

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I just cooked two huge deer bones I had in the freezer I was saving for the chickens. I cooked them down until all slivers of meat had fallen off then I mixed in some cooked white rice. You would have thought they were in vegas at an all you can eat steak and seafood bar! LOL

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens (if I had any yet) would have to fight me for that venison. I have several lovely ideas for cooking it...heh.

6. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    We grill all the other parts of venison but I have a hard time coming up with recipes for the ground venison. I use it for chili. My husband doesnt eat any vegetables other than potatos so it's hard to find a way to fix a meal that he will eat, especially the ground venison.

7. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    I don't want to hijack your thread. But I WOULD like to talk about ground venison recipes. So I'm gonna go start a thread in the appropriate place.

I'm sure your chickens will LOVE you for the treat. [​IMG]

Cassandra

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by