Venison! Having Fun with Our Local Bounty

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by frugal, Dec 6, 2008.

1. frugal

frugal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    NEK, Vermont
    Deer: Venison! Having Fun with Our Local Bounty

[​IMG]

I love venison but what do you do with all that fresh meat when you live off the grid? When I lived on the grid I had multiple chest freezers that we always kept stocked with venison and other meats, vegetables and fruits. Now that I live off the grid that is no longer possible. I still freeze some of my meat but not nearly as much, so here are a few other ways I use to preserve my venison:

Canned Venison!

[​IMG]

Ground Meat - Small Roast - Meatballs - Burgers - Stew Meat

Helpful Hints Canning Your Venison

• Wash and sterilize your jars ahead of time. Place your jars and lids in hot water until your meat is ready to be packed in jars. I know, you don’t need to sterilize them—I do anyway.

• Each quart jar will hold approximately 1¾ pounds of raw meat. I can fit five 6 ounce seared burgers in one quart jar or 22 medium sized seared meatballs.

• Remove all the fat and tallow from your meat. The fat and tallow will absorb salt and cause your meat to spoil more quickly. Properly canned meat should last several years if left in a cool dark place.

• Cut meat into slices that are 1” to 11⁄2" thick and either the length of your jar or in cube shape to more fully pack the jar.

• Throw 1⁄2 teaspoon of canning salt in the bottom of a pint jar or 1 teaspoon in a quart jar and add chopped garlic to taste.

• Pack raw meat into jars leaving 1” head space.

• To can burgers and meatballs I sear them first so they don’t stick together in the jar after the are cooked.

• Fill remainder of jar with boiling water leaving 1” headspace. This should just be a small amount to make sure your meat is covered when the process is finished—the meat will make, and cook in its own juices as it processes. Properly packed jars will require little to no additional water.

• Remove the air from jars by placing a thin knife around the edge of the jar. Gently tapping the bottom of the jar will also cause the air bubbles to rise to the top. If you don’t get the air out you will boil over during the canning process.

• Use clean water to wipe tops and apply hot wet lids & screw tops.

• Process pints for 1 hour and 15 minutes and quarts for 1 hour and 30 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.

• Let your canner cool naturally. Never open your canner while it is still hot—let it sit and cool completely.

REMEMBER: Cold air on hot jars will cause the liquid in jars to boil out.

Please note: If you boiled over you can add fluid and reseal your jars in this manner:
    • Prepare new lids.
    • Remove lids from jars and add water or beef broth to bring liquid level back up.
    • Place uncovered jars in microwave for about 3 minutes to heat water back up to just a boil.
    • Clean off the rim of the jar and put new lid on top.
    • Screw down the top tightly and turn the jars over on their tops for 15 minutes.
    • As they cool the jars will reseal and you can turn them back upright.
    • Use these jars first.

Jerky!

Making Jerky from Sliced Meat

[​IMG]

To make great Jerky I use lean meat without any fat.
    I cut my pieces about 1⁄4” thick and use a tenderizer to pierce the meat.

[​IMG]

I let these soak for a couple of days in Maple Syrup based marinade…

[​IMG]

Racked and ready for the oven or dehydrator.
    These will stay in the dehydrator 10-12 hours at 160° before they are done.

[​IMG]

Finished and Delicious!!

Making Jerky from Ground Meat

When my daughters were young I discovered they loved to snack on jerky if it was made from ground meat—young teeth and mouths.

[​IMG]

Mixing my marinade in...

[​IMG]

It takes about 1¼ pounds of meat per 16"x14" rack.
    First I take the ground meat and place it on a piece of pierced saran wrap and flatten it out with my hands.
    Next I put a piece of saran wrap over the meat and gently roll it out to desired thickness—about ¼"

Then, I peel the saran wrap off the top and slide the meat on the pierced saran wrap onto a rack I covered with paper towels (to catch the drippings although usually unnecessary).
    These will stay in the dehydrator 10-12 hours at 160° before they are done.

[​IMG]

When they are about halfway done I flip the meat removing the paper towels and saran wrap.

[​IMG]

All done!

[​IMG]

You can just tear it up or cut it up into strips.

Venison Sausage!

[​IMG]

Venison is very lean so I add 2-2½ pounds of chopped pork or beef fat to every 10 pounds of venison.

[​IMG]

On the first grind the fat begins to be minced into the meat.

[​IMG]

I add my seasonings for the second grind and you can see the consistency is much better.

[​IMG]

I put my sausage through a third time because I wasn't quite happy with it—now I am.

[​IMG]

In addition to packing bulk sausage we enjoy making links... [​IMG]

Mouth Watering Steaks!!

[​IMG]

Cutting your own steaks from any meat is wonderful!
    These steaks are stiffening up outside on a snow bank before packaging.

[​IMG]

I’m vacuum packing these steaks for the freezer.

[​IMG]

Packed.

Venison Sticks!

[​IMG]

Stuffing my casing with some lean (no fat added) ground venison mixed with seasonings and a little liquid smoke.

[​IMG]

On the rack ready to cook at 160°-170°.
    When the internal temperature of the venison stick reaches 152° you pull them out and let them dry and shrivel up.

[​IMG]

Do these look good enough to eat?
    Each stick weighs approximately 1.5 ounces.

[​IMG]

Venison Sticks and Venison Jerky

[​IMG]

and my very own

Venison Pepperoni Salami

2. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    WOW! Thanks so much for those Ideas. Do you want to share your marinade with us? [​IMG] I hope to get to the same level as you. Right now all I can do is ground and cubed. I also want to try the ground jerky! That will be a wintertime project when it's just too yucky to do anything outside! Thank! [​IMG]

3. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Frugal,

Another impressive post. I do have a question. We are starting to process our own deer and have an electric grinder. Where do you get the pork or beef fat? So far we have just grown and used without the fat in Chili or Spaghetti. I would love to be able to make sausage and burgers.

Also it seems like we leave alot of meat around the shank. Can this be used in the ground meat?

4. frugal

frugal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    NEK, Vermont
    Quote:Thanks for the kind words.

I grind all the extra meat into ground venison or sausage, shanks included.

Always remember that in an emergency situation, where every morsel of food counts, you can harvest almost 3 pounds of meat from the head of a 175 pound buck.

We buy slabs pork fat from our local slaughter house during pig butchering season, trim it, chunk it and freeze it to use as needed.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  5. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I am bookmarking this page! THANKS!

6. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Frugal: AWESOME pics, beautiful meat, and great info. Thank you again!!!

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    This is awesome [​IMG]

Question- Are you using casings that you bought or are you using the deer's intestines for the sausage? And how do you pinch off your links? I'd like to do this soon.

8. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Frugal you are really impressing me! Once again you have inspired me to try something new.

I think you need to publish a how to book with all your step by step pictures.

9. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Can I come stay with you?

10. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Looks great. Last year we did some jerky, stew venison and venison burger, but haven't gotten a deer yet this year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by