Vent about Customer Service!!! Semi-Long Post

RubberChickenLubber

Songster
12 Years
Oct 19, 2007
Newton, NC
I'm tired of calling customer service departments of big businesses. They're almost always outsourced, and the representatives can't understand you, nor can you understand them. They have to ask a million questions, because they do not really know about the product, they are following a computer program that answers the question.

One time I had to call Dish Network about a problem with my remote, ended up calling 5 times before I demanded to speak to someone in the US or I'd cancel my service. I was sent to an executive office in Texas.

Today I had to call Dell about an order, I had to answer a long series of automated questions. I finally just started pushing random buttons until I got someone on the phone.

I have hung up on several customer service centers due to the outsourcing. I'm to the point of just requesting a representative in the US everytime I call, this is rediculous.

Sorry, I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, I just can't take it anymore.

I am so with you. I had a problem with verizon DSL. Our internet kicks on and off and the lady says I am wrong and it shows we are connected. Yet a called 3 days before and the guy said we where not connected and its on there side. I told her to please send dispatch over to fix it and she said no I cant do that unless you have a problem. Guess the customer is not right? We are cancelling soon and going to someone that cares

I feel your pain!

I used to be in a job where I had to, from time to time, call telephone companies, and the like - drove me NUTS - just getting through the autmoated system - and no matter WHAT time you call you always get the:
"We are experiencing a high call volumn, you call will be answered in the order it was received, wait time is aproximately 35 minutes"

I found the trick for me was to press the option where you are NOT a customer..... the answer THAT line in 2 minutes or less - if you ARE a customer, well they don't have to TRY anymore becasue you're already tied down to a contract!

Quote:
I've done that before too Wildsky, but sometimes the person you get says they can't help you and tranfers you back to the department for existing customers.
barnie.gif
he.gif

Push 0. That's what I do and usually it brings me right to customer service.
I hate being on hold and on service calls. I do most of what I can via e-mail, at least it saves me from spending hours on the phone with a 2 year old who suddenly needs everything right then.

When i have to call a big co. for some reason, get on www.gethuman.com they have lots of co's listed and tell you how to get to a human, now that doesn't always gurantee you will get a human in the U.S. If I have problems with ANY customer service I ask to speak to a supervisor at once, if still not satisfied, I keep going up the line until i reach them corporate office.

Monica

I refuse to speak to anyone in customer service that I can not clearly understand. I feel I bought the product in the US and will not be inconvienced by having to try to understand a foreign accent. I usually ask were they are located, if its outside the US. I know how to say "I don't understand" in a couple different languages, or I just keep saying it in english. That usually works, at least I get someone that speaks clearly. I have sent 3 computers back and cancelled the credit card billing because of this problem.
Don't get me wrong, I'd just rater see my countrymen working, and chose to do business with business that support this country. Getting harder and harder to find.

Bob

I will be honest and say outsourced customer service has become one of my pet peeves. I use to feel bad, but most times I have difficulty understanding what the person is saying or more frustrating is trying to get them to understand me.

I would prefer NOT to purchase from companies that make my being a customer more stressful...

Julie

I used to be a call center manager, so I am well-versed in all of the arguments offered by management about the benefits of outsourcing for a corporate bottom line. I believe in diversity and think that people from different countries and backgrounds can bring alot of value to the table with unique perspectives...

However, there is something to be said for good old fashioned customer service! It is very difficult to find good service nowadays. I find when calling Dell, Verizon or credit card companies and banks that is extremely hard to understand the representatives when they speak. I have a good "ear" for foreign languages, so for me to say that I don't understand them, it probably means that most native English speakers will have trouble deciphering what they say.

An additional problem is in the quality of the telephone connection... Often the lines are scratchy and the representatives sound as though we are speaking via two soup cans (minus the string
sad.png
) There is no excuse for this, especially since the fees for all of our services go up each year.

They are poorly trained in customer service and often do not have the level of skill to troubleshoot a problem (Verizon). I had to become an expert in my home network and even own backup equipment to help me prove that the problem isn't my equipment, but their technical difficulties.

The only advice that I can give to people is to always ask to speak to a manager after receiving good customer service from an American phone rep. If we call attention to what good service really is, then maybe it will encourage the companies to keep the customer support services in the US, rather than out sourcing them for pennies on the dollar.

Back
Top Bottom