Vent blocked??!!

ms.cluckling

Songster
9 Years
Dec 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
First question...where is the vent?? My chicken has two holes in its rear end, one for poop, and the other for who know's what (probably for pee)
Anyway, is the bottom/lower hole the vent? If it isn't what is it?
My chick's bottom hole is crusty, white, and dry. it has something blocking it, I'm sure.
Also, he is constantly making diarrhea.
Info about him (if it helps):
Breed:White leghorn
What is wrong with my chick?

Sounds like he has pasty butt. Using warm water and a soft cloth, clean off his rear so he's not blocked. Make sure you are using medicated starter feed and keep an eye on the brooder temps, too high of a temperature can lead to pasty butt. You can try trimming the feathers around the vent to give the poop less to adhere to.

I like to add enzymes to chick water to help strengthen the chicks as they get older. Seems to help keep the pasty butt from returning, in my experience.

Your local feed store probably carries Purina Start N Grow medicated formula. I don't know anything about pasty butt,however, that is the feed that was recommended to me, and the one I've always used for my little ones.

Sorry I can't help on the diagnosis. I'm too new to know chicken disorders, but I've used the Purina feed for all my babies, and I haven't had any illnesses.

I hope this helps?

A chicken has one output hole- the vent- eggs, poop, urates (bird urine), rooster reproductive part- all come out the same hole. If your chick has two holes- you are looking at the umbilicus (belly button) and the vent. The vent will be just below the tail nub. The umbilicus will be lower on the belly, between the vent and the sternum/keel. If the vent is plugged with feces or urates, you need to soak it off. Leave the umbilicus alone- at 4 days old, it should be dry and sealed. Maybe a small scab. Do NOT pick this open- underneath is the remnant yolk sac attached to the GI tract. Do you only have one chick? Pick up the other chicks and look them over- familiarize yourself with normal anatomy so you can see when there is a problem.

i only have one chick! thank you, it IS the belly button.
I didn't pick at it, thank goodness.
Thank you all for your quick responses.
Had this been a real emergency (thank God it wasn't), I'm glad to have you all here
smile.png

I was just wondering why do you only have one chick? everything that I have read suggest min 3 chicks to keep each other company. you should also get STOREY"S GUIDE TO RAISING CHICKENS by Gail Damerow. excellent book has every thing you need to know. good luck

Back
Top Bottom