Vent discharge?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bawkbawkbawk, Aug 22, 2010.

1. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

I clean my coop daily, and a few weeks ago began to notice that one of my hens was "leaking" fluid that soaked through the paper towels and newspapers I use underneath the pine shavings.

Wasn't absolutely sure which one had the problem so took two of my girls to the vet - one was diagnosed with metritis. She had a bit of prolapse and apparently this made her vulnerable to infection. The vet gave us an anti-inflammatory solution and Baytril, which we faithfully administered for the duration.

Today I found more evidence of "leakage" but it's not underneath the roost where that particular hen slept last night - I noted where she was roosting last night and she also happened to drop an egg this morning so I'm pretty sure she stayed put on the other roost last night. This time it doesn't have the pale pink blood-tinge to it that it did before, but it still seems to be quite a bit of fluid.

We're getting ready to leave town on a trip. Should I be worried?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by