Vent gleet and fly strike less than 4 ur old chicken

Seggy4

In the Brooder
May 24, 2021
My chicken has both of these problems. Came on quickly. Had caretaker for chickens couple days while recuperating from cataract surgery.
wound size of quarter to right of vent. Got all the maggots out and have cleaned one time with hydrogen-peroxide. Have been flushing 2 times a day w warm salt water and applying a salve of lavender, bag balm and neem oil. Have an urgent appointment with avian vet Thursday. She is quarantined in our bathroom shower stall with perch, food and water for now
Need help deciding
1) if she can go outside for a few minutes a day in supervised grassy area for RNR
2) if probiotics or other things will help treat gleet

Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos?
Is it vent gleet or leaking urates?

Are all the maggots gone?

For me, yes I would take her outside a little RNR, I'm sure she would enjoy it and hopefully you will too!
Probiotics or a little plain greek yogurt won't hurt. It may help with gleet if that's an issue. Often a sour crop is at play when there's vent gleet so treating "both" ends (what goes in comes out) is good practice. If the wound is beside the vent, you can put a small amount of yeast ointment on the vent if you need to. Hopefully your vet will be able to better access the situation and get you on the right track.

No more maggots. Haven’t seen any since day before yesterday and check about 3xs a day.

she ate the Greek yogurt. Now a new problem. When I woke up to check on her I found a piece of bloody egg shell. She acts the same and is eating. I can’t tell if she laid an egg and ate most of it (which to my knowledge she hasn’t done) or if she passes part of a broken egg. My husbands working from home snd I’ve been researching this. We r preparing to flush out with room temperature salt water and Inspect inside her vent. This is my second flock of chickens and I guess I’ve been lucky to have never had problems. So sad and a challenge.

Was the shell a soft or hard?
Blood on the shell? No egg yolk, albumen (whites) or blood leaking from the vent?

I would not flush the vent, you risk flushing bacteria and/or egg matter (if there's egg yolk, etc.) back up into the oviduct. The reproductive system on a chicken is not a "closed" system like humans or mammals.

I would however, feel inside the vent about 1-2" with a gloved, lubricated finger and gently feel for shell just in case. If you feel shell, then lubricate the vent with a little KY, coconut oil or raw honey.
Give her extra calcium (Caltrate with D3) so hopefully this will help with contractions and she can expel the shell if there is one. If you do feel shell and think you can gently remove pieces after you have used a bit of lubricant, then do so.

An antibiotic may be suitable to give IF there was broken shell still inside the vent since it can make small cuts or tears. Your vet may suggest something different. I would use Amoxicillin. IF she also has Gleet, then an antibiotic can make yeast infections worse, so keep that in mind. What you think is Gleet, could be urates or egg material - hard to know without seeing it.

Was the shell a soft or hard?
Blood on the shell? No egg yolk, albumen (whites) or blood leaking from the vent?

I would not flush the vent, you risk flushing bacteria and/or egg matter (if there's egg yolk, etc.) back up into the oviduct. The reproductive system on a chicken is not a "closed" system like humans or mammals.

I would however, feel inside the vent about 1-2" with a gloved, lubricated finger and gently feel for shell just in case. If you feel shell, then lubricate the vent with a little KY, coconut oil or raw honey.
Give her extra calcium (Caltrate with D3) so hopefully this will help with contractions and she can expel the shell if there is one. If you do feel shell and think you can gently remove pieces after you have used a bit of lubricant, then do so.

An antibiotic may be suitable to give IF there was broken shell still inside the vent since it can make small cuts or tears. Your vet may suggest something different. I would use Amoxicillin. IF she also has Gleet, then an antibiotic can make yeast infections worse, so keep that in mind. What you think is Gleet, could be urates or egg material - hard to know without seeing it.
The shall was pretty firm. It didn’t look like a shell at first snd my husband feeling it w a glove wasn’t convinced but don’t know what else it could be. There’s wasn’t any food items an inch or more big so confusing. I did inspect and no fragments at all so did not flush. This bird has so many problems but no more maggots and wound appears to be healing. Less discharge from vent but there still is some. Her poop is liquify and whitish. Maybe that’s what I thought was gleet.

The shall was pretty firm. It didn’t look like a shell at first snd my husband feeling it w a glove wasn’t convinced but don’t know what else it could be. There’s wasn’t any food items an inch or more big so confusing. I did inspect and no fragments at all so did not flush. This bird has so many problems but no more maggots and wound appears to be healing. Less discharge from vent but there still is some. Her poop is liquify and whitish. Maybe that’s what I thought was gleet.
You don't happen to still have what you found do you? Photos if possible?
Could it have been a Lash Egg? (Salpingitis)

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lash-egg-—-what-next.1217319/

You don't happen to still have what you found do you? Photos if possible?
Could it have been a Lash Egg? (Salpingitis)

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lash-egg-—-what-next.1217319/
I have learned a lot from researching your questions. I think it could be a lash egg. It looked cheese like or meat like on first glance. It had some Shell particles and blood on it. It’s in the garbage but we will fish out and take to the vet tomorrow. Thanks for all your help. It sounds like she needs antibiotics. Hope it’s not too late.

I have learned a lot from researching your questions. I think it could be a lash egg. It looked cheese like or meat like on first glance. It had some Shell particles and blood on it. It’s in the garbage but we will fish out and take to the vet tomorrow. Thanks for all your help. It sounds like she needs antibiotics. Hope it’s not too late.
I'm glad you are seeing the vet, please do keep me posted.
I hope she can at least recover for a period of time.

I'm glad you are seeing the vet, please do keep me posted.
I hope she can at least recover for a period of time.
She is on antibiotics and doing much better. She has a mass in her abdomen. Not an egg or lash. Could be a tumer vet thought. Wounds healing and she’s in a covered play type pen outside during the day and our shower at night.
Thanks again for your help and caring!

Back
Top Bottom