Vent gleet and mites? Help!

Kpreysz

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2022
Hi All! Just went out this to check on my ladies and noticed one of my hens has a super dirty backside. She is eating, drinking and acting like she does normally. No other issues that I can see nor any other chickens with issues. Two of them have some slight white on their feathers but very minimal. Anyone have suggestions on what could be going on?

I also noticed my Brahma’s legs are looking unusual - I can’t tell if it’s related to her recent molt or mites? She’s also acting

I am new to chickens - having had them for about 9 months without any issues and now feeling stressed to know how to best identify and manage any issues to ensure they stay healthy and happy! I appreciate any and all feedback!

First 2 photos: Brahma
3rd photo: Orpington
6F7B1F44-3E62-4AEF-97C1-10BA58B85F4C.jpeg

Attachments

• E8549CC5-28B5-475F-950E-69FD11A2E704.jpeg
    E8549CC5-28B5-475F-950E-69FD11A2E704.jpeg
    630.1 KB · Views: 14
  • BD235A6A-DF38-4399-B3A3-AE23BEA32F58.jpeg
    BD235A6A-DF38-4399-B3A3-AE23BEA32F58.jpeg
    717.3 KB · Views: 16
if the scales look pushed up it could be leg mites. To take care of those i would soak the legs in warm water for 5-10 min. and then oil to suffocate them. There is also liquid mite killer like Permethrin but ive never tried that before.

It is hard to see the vent in the first picture. Can you clean her up a bit and take another picture of the vent? Does she have an unusually bad odor from her vent, or a continuous running from the vent? I just want to make sure that she doesn’t have a prolapse. If she has gleet, you may want to give her an antifungal Medistatin powder in her water. That is Nystatin that you can buy online.

There are scaly leg mites in the pictures. Those are treated with soaking the legs in warm soapy water. Then dry the legs and then apply vaseline or a thick oil to her legs twice a week. I would also look her over for lice and mites.

It is hard to see the vent in the first picture. Can you clean her up a bit and take another picture of the vent? Does she have an unusually bad odor from her vent, or a continuous running from the vent? I just want to make sure that she doesn’t have a prolapse. If she has gleet, you may want to give her an antifungal Medistatin powder in her water. That is Nystatin that you can buy online.

There are scaly leg mites in the pictures. Those are treated with soaking the legs in warm soapy water. Then dry the legs and then apply vaseline or a thick oil to her legs twice a week. I would also look her over for lice and mites.
Thank you! I will get her cleaned up and assess further today. If she has lice/mites what is the best course of treatment for that? I’m assuming I treat the whole flock and coop?

Permethrin garden dust and spray are the most common treatments for lice or mites. Treatment of the coop is done as well. Let us know what you find.

I’ve checked everyone in the coop - I have 5 hens - and none of them have any mites or lice that I can see anywhere other than the legs of my Brahma. I have attached a photo of my orpingtons bum - nothing noted around her vent. No foul odor and no noticeable discharge. Is it possible she just had some runny poo and then rolled in her dirt bath?

Attachments

• E3B3DEE6-620C-4900-868E-274F156BAA67.jpeg
    E3B3DEE6-620C-4900-868E-274F156BAA67.jpeg
    644.9 KB · Views: 15
Her vent area just looks dirty. The poop and urates can be irritating to the skin. It helps to clean it off, or soak her to get it off. If the skin is irritated, you can apply some Nustock cream daily.

I will do that tomorrow am! Thank you so very much for all of your help! Very much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom