Vent gleet does not go away

knaderi

Hatching
Jul 21, 2015

Hi,

I got a 12 week old Rodeo Island chicken from my friend about 10 days ago. He told me she had a wound by her vent and is getting better. It smelled really bad though. The chick eats normal and looks healthy otherwise. I paid more attention to what my friend told me was a wound and I noticed clear water comes out of its bottom and then it turns into white residue around her bottom feathers and smells really bad.

I searched and found out that she has Vent Gleet. For the last 7 days I have been adding apple cider vinegar to the water for the whole flock. Washed her bottom every day and also bought a cream similar to Monostat from pharmecy and applied it twice a day. I have also been given the whole flock yougurt once a day. Since yesterday I started adding garlic to their water as well.

Doing all the above does not seem to help. I called the bird hospital (Night Owel) in Vancouver and they charge $65 only to visit and then probably another 20 to 30 dollars for Nystatin that I have been told will work for this issue.

Is there any other way I can help her? Can I get the medicine online? is there any other natural remedy I can use?

Thanks
Kaz

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Sorry for your problem. If you have not already done so, type 'Vent Gleet' in the search bar at the top of the page. Hopefully something in the many threads will be of help.

Vent gleet is not always a yeast infection... It can also be from parasites and/or bacteria.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thanks for your response. But if it was parasite or Bacteria most likely my other chickens or my friends chickens would get it as well. It does not seem to be contagious.

Thanks for your response. I did as you suggested and checked other postings. One was suggesting giving her Medistatin and it says it can be found over the counter. I checked and cannot find that locally.

I recently treated a hen with gleet... She had roundworms and an infection of the reproductive tract. She did not have a yeast infection and all other chickens with her were okay, though they probably had worms, too.

-Kathy

Thanks so much for the info.

How will I know it is not Yeast infection?
Also if it is Yeast infection what dosage of fluconazole OTC or CanesOral should I give to the chicken?

Regards
Kaz

Back
Top Bottom