Vent gleet in 3 week old? Photos included

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SearchDog13, Jun 17, 2016.

1. SearchDog13

SearchDog13 New Egg

May 21, 2016
    NC
    2 days ago my latest addition a 3 wk old Buff came up with a swollen vent, matted down and stinky discharge. I'm really really new to this. I have her separated and I have cleaned her up every day since it started. I've also been putting anti fungal cream on her. She is still eating and pooping. But it seems like pooping is very painful for her. How long does it take for the swelling to go down? Could she have prolapsed from this? Any tips would be great, I want her to heal. [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  2. SearchDog13

SearchDog13 New Egg

May 21, 2016
    NC
    Bump

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It looks like it could possibly be a prolapse.
    Is the white the anti-fungal cream?
    What foods/treats are you giving?

The swelling does look a bit painful, for that you can apply honey or hemorrhoid cream. Provide her with some poultry vitamins and probiotics (plain yogurt is good).
    If she is eating anything besides chick starter, provide some chick grit. It may be best until the problem clears to give her wet chick starter (mix starter with a little water to make a paste like oatmeal). Encourage drinking if she doesn't drink a lot.

Prolapse:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

Vent Gleet:
    http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/
    http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/09/vent-gleet-symptoms-causes-and-natural.html

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. SearchDog13

SearchDog13 New Egg

May 21, 2016
    NC
    The white is discharge. she is eating chick starter. I will make her a little paste. How do encourage her to drink? I'm nervous aboutusing a syringe.

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You can dip her beak in the water or try using a spoon to see if she will sip from that.
    If you use a syringe, drop the water on the outside of the beak a drop or two at a time - they will usually shake their head, then "taste", try another drop or two they will usually take it in - it's a bit slow going, wait until they swallow, then repeat.

You can also give her a soak in a warm epsom salt bath to help with the swelling. Just dry her off good so she doesn't get chilled.
    Then apply the anti-fungal cream. Also you can try to apply a little honey or hemorrhoid cream just slightly inside the vent (with a qtip) to help get the swelling down. Once the swelling goes down a bit, see if the prolapse will go back in.

If the gleet doesn't start to clear up in a few days you may want to see if you can get some Nystatin to get that cleared up.

6. SearchDog13

SearchDog13 New Egg

May 21, 2016
    NC
    It worked! She a little bald back there right now but her prolapse is fixed. She's eating and feisty. Thank you for the help!

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm so glad she is doing well!

Feisty and eating is a good sign [​IMG]

You are very welcome.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  8. SearchDog13

SearchDog13 New Egg

May 21, 2016
    NC
    I did a warm water soak for about 10-15 minutes and cleaned her up. Blow dried her and then applied some hemorrhoid cream. I waited a couple minutes and applied very gentle pressure with the side of a q-tip to the prolapse. It slipped right back in. I held my thumb over it for another couple minutes and have had no reoccurence in 24 hours. She still has a small amount of sticky white discharge so I am continuing the anti-fungal cream twice a day. Because she was not eating well for a few days I added some nutri-drench and probiotics to her water.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Great job!
    Thank you for giving a detailed account of how you did this, it's always helpful for others.

I hope she continues to do well [​IMG]

10. SearchDog13

SearchDog13 New Egg

May 21, 2016
    NC
    [​IMG]

This is Money Penny. She's all better and back with the flock!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by