Vent Gleet in Meat Birds, Treat or Slaughter Them Now?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by BethM, Apr 20, 2012.

1. BethM

BethM Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    Vermont
    It looks like several of my Cornish Rock X's have vent gleet. A couple of them have a pretty bad case. They are a little smaller than I wanted them to be (we were going to slaughter in 1-2 weeks). I am wondering if it is worth trying to treat them or if we should just process them now. Can or should we even eat the meat from them? Would it be worth treating the few mild cases we have? I have 11 other birds that I don't want this spreading to. I have isolated the worse cases for now.

Thanks
    Beth

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  2. Sundown_Farmer

Sundown_Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Non-Chicago, Illinois
    I don't think there is any reason not to eat them.

You might try giving them yogurt or clabber for a day or so. Any sort of a probiotic should help them sort it out.

3. TheOutcast

TheOutcast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Eat em now

4. EAT![​IMG]

5. BethM

BethM Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    Vermont
    I have been giving them yogurt for a few days and the mild cases seem to have cleared up but the two with the bad cases haven't got better, they not any worse just not better. So it looks like we will be taking care of those 2 tonight. I am going to keep feeding the rest of them yogurt and adding apple cider vinegar to the water for a few more days. It looks like all the meat birds will be big enough by this weekend or early next week.

6. [​IMG]your doing the two a favor. We once had a rooster that was sick, he had mites, he was scrawny, and just plain sick. So we wacked his head off, ended his life in half a second.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by