Vent gleet or something else?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sepideh1988, Feb 12, 2017.

1. sepideh1988

sepideh1988 New Egg

Feb 12, 2017
    Hi.two of my girls have white discharge from vent,smells urine and ammonia and their vent feathers always are wet.but they are normal and healthy.I wash their feathers everyday.but nothing change.Is it vent gleet?I add ACV in their water.can epsom salt help with vent gleet? and treat completely?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They're 1.5 years old,and laying but they're molting now.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    White droppings are urates, kidney waste, and do smell like urine. They may just be having some runny poops. I don't see any red skin with white or yellow patches common with vent gleet (similar to a yeast or candida infection.) Epsom salts will give them more diarrhea. I would give them probiotic plain yogurt, about a tsp per chicken daily, and make sure rhey are getting a little choped egg, a good chicken feed, and clean water. Vitamins in the water may help. Molt is a tough time on chickens. I might think about worming them with Valbazen 1/2 ml and repeat in 10 days while they are molting.

3. sepideh1988

sepideh1988 New Egg

Feb 12, 2017
    Yeah.I gonna worming them with valbazen and niclomasid But they're tablet(Valbazen 152 mg and niclomasid 1250 mg) not suspension and don't know what dosage good for them. here suspension not exist.I just found tablet.I have 13 chickens.The guy at pet store asked their number and average weight(13×2kg=26)and said use each niclosamid tablet for 3 chickens for 3 days,and use1/5 tablet albendazole in their water after 7 days,for 7 days.is it safe?cause he didn't have suspension and i don't know what dosage for tablet must use.He said each niclosamid tablet for 6.5 kg.mean 1250 mg/6.5kg=192.30=200 mg per kg.can just using albendazol or use niclomasid too and what dose for tablet per kg/w? I scare overdose them and hurt their health?cause I'm not sure they have worms.They are normal and their appetite is normal too.They're just hungry all the time. Is it safe deworming them in winter and while they're molting?and it treat white discharge and kidney health?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I had to look up niclosamide since I am not familiar with it, and found this link that is for a suspension, and they give the dosage for chickens: http://www.leobiocare.com/niclosamide-albendazole-susupension-981226.html

In that link above it says to give 100mg of niclosamide and 30 mg of albendazole for each 1.5 Kg of weight. That would be 132 mg of niclosamide and 40mg of albendazole per 2 KG of weight. The tablets you have divided into 5 would equal 250 mg of niclosamide and 30 mg of albendazole for each chicken that weighs 2 KG. So, that seems like more niclosamide and less albendazole than the liquid suspension in my link calls for. Whew, my brain is smoking LOL. Please check my math since that is not my best subject.

As far as worming during a molt, some do since they are not laying eggs at this time, while others feel the birds may be stressed with worming. Some wormers containing fenbendazole have been reported to cause odd feather regrowth, while others say that it made no difference.

Here is another identical medicine to the one in the link above and it gave the same dosage: http://www.hindustantherapeutics.in/niclozole-suspension.htm

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by