Vent Gleet or something else?

PhenixJiRa

Songster
Aug 12, 2022
Idaho
Hello!
I have a Chicken that has had missing feathers below her vent for sometime. I thought it was part of the molting process. She seemed to have a very soft molt. She is a little over 1 1/2 years.

Today I noticed the area is red and almost swollen looking. The picture I am providing is after I cleaned her up a bit, so it became more red once I was done.

I can not see a discharge or any swelling of the vent and there is no odor but this area below the vent seems inflamed.

Do you think this is vent gleet or something else?

Attachments

• IMG_0910.jpeg
    IMG_0910.jpeg
    567.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0909.jpeg
    IMG_0909.jpeg
    765.5 KB · Views: 13
It *might* be vent gleet, but I'm not inclined to go there without noticeable discharge. Vent gleet tends to be messy. It *could* be a mild case. If so, feed her yogurt and spray her bum with something like tinactin spray.

It could be a slow regrowth from molt. I do see pin feathers.

If you have a rooster, it can be mating damage. Some of my hens have bare bums...they are the rooster's favorites.

Sometimes if you have heavy parasite load with a lot of diarrhea, the feathers can be damaged.

And last but not least, check for parasites. An infestation of lice/mites can cause feather picking damage.

Good luck figuring out what this is. Sometimes I have a hen who tends to bare bum and never figure out a cause (but usually it is rooster damage).

LofMc

Last edited:
It *might* be vent gleet, but I'm not inclined to go there without noticeable discharge. Vent gleet tends to be messy. It *could* be a mild case. If so, feed her yogurt and spray her bum with something like tinactin spray.

It could be a slow regrowth from molt. I do see pin feathers.

If you have a rooster, it can be mating damage. Some of my hens have bare bums...they are the rooster's favorites.

Sometimes if you have heavy parasite load with a lot of diarrhea, the feathers can be damages.

And last but not least, check for parasites. An infestation of lice/mites can cause feather picking damage.

Good luck figuring out what this is. Sometimes I have a hen who tends to bare bum and never figure out a cause (but usually it is rooster damage).

LofMc
Thank you for the help! Great ideas for me to watch out for. I don’t have a rooster so that’s out. Later in the day the redness went away. I was wondering if those were pin feathers. My other hen had them but not quite like this and not in that location. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom