Vent gleet possibly!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cencor, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Cencor

Cencor Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2013
    Hi everyone i posted yesterday about our silkie who was egg bound (eggs out) shes at our house she still had a prolapse an had.been bathed three times in epsom salts ok so i checked her this mornimg her vent is still really sore looking she looks like theres no poo altho her vent is all crusted an smells really bad i felt her abdomen an all i can feep is droppings ive put in egg shell yoghurt and garlic im goin allotment later to get apple cider vinegar any ideas is this vent gleet or because she.was egg bound thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Probably time for a cloacal exam to check for obstructions, lumps, fluid, swellings, eggs, etc. Get a glove, some KJ Jelly and very gently do an exam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

4. Cencor

Dec 13, 2013
    Thanks everyone again so bathed her an checked her with gloves an olive oil can only feel poo and shes really gassy left for half hour i got some calcium tablets ky for her vent ble ss hope i dont kill her with kindness shes so good just letting me do everything even droper with calcium water into her throat

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like you are doing a very good job taking care of her. Hopefully she will start to heal. Is the prolapsed tissue still outside the vent? Try to push it back in if you can.

6. Cencor

Dec 13, 2013
    Or thank you im probably being dramatic but hate seeing her distressed its still out i tried pushing it in it didnz pop out but has come out again her whole vent and abdomin dropped yesterday today its just her vent

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Just stick the whole pill in her mouth and massage it down into her crop. If you think the pill is too big, just cut it in half and give 1/2 at a time.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by