Vent gleet/sour crop? *Dire*

Poodlemum

Crowing
Aug 26, 2021
Northern Utah
My most favourite WTB Bluejay (she rides my shoulder for treats šŸ˜­) is doing very poorly. Iā€™m so worried and stressed Iā€™ll lose her!

Oct 14, she looked hunched up and allowed me to pick her up. This is NOT normal for her. Clear liquid poured from her mouth (has happened when I need to catch my Polish roos, I thought that was normal then), very squishy full crop. Full inspection showed likely vent gleet as well. I immediately picked up monistat and have been treating her since that night.

She has been left with the flock since Iā€™ve been monitoring her eating and crop has felt okish. Tonight I found her hiding and looking very poorly. Barely responsive. Any other tips or ideas???

Whole flock treated for lice recently, she wasnā€™t showing visible bugs then

I'm sorry about your hen.

Do you have photos of her poop and of her?

When was her last egg?

Being hunched up with sour crop and a discharge from the vent, I would suspect she's having reproductivie problems.

Give her Calcium Citrate daily, 1 tablet.
Continue to treat the crop according to the article linked below.
Have you ever dewormed her?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I'm sorry about your hen.

Do you have photos of her poop and of her?

When was her last egg?

Being hunched up with sour crop and a discharge from the vent, I would suspect she's having reproductivie problems.

Give her Calcium Citrate daily, 1 tablet.
Continue to treat the crop according to the article linked below.
Have you ever dewormed her?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Her last poop (not the death expelling) was just white water. Iā€™m not sure when she last laid, we free range and theyā€™re mad I found the last stash lol. Just had surgery and not up for the egg hunt right now šŸ˜• The vet said ivermectin cattle pour on for lice and that it would worm them too. Definitely didnā€™t feel egg bound or ascites, I specifically felt for that just in case

It doesn't sound like something catching.

To find out more or what caused her decline, then having a further examination through your state lab or vet would give you the best answers. It's understandable if that's not a route you wish to take as well. Sometimes losing a favorite like this is very hard.

It doesn't sound like something catching.

To find out more or what caused her decline, then having a further examination through your state lab or vet would give you the best answers. It's understandable if that's not a route you wish to take as well. Sometimes losing a favorite like this is very hard.
Thank you šŸ’• Wish I was brave enough to check for crop impaction or something. Itā€™s been a lean season here unfortunately. Trying to keep the mentality that theyā€™re farm critters is tough for me! Hopefully this spring we can hatch out a chick just as special as she was
8853A2E0-32B2-45C9-A147-29996443D517.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom