1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

vent gleet that won't get better!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kristinn, Feb 11, 2014.

1. kristinn

kristinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Brighton, MI
    Ok so I have a hen that has vent gleet. None of my other hens have EVER gotten this, but with her, I can't seem to get rid of it! I've tried everything I've researched: ACV, Probiotics (both yogurts and topical food powders), epsom salt, topical ointments, warm baths, even did a round of antibiotics.. This has been going on since last fall. I'll bring her in and treat her for weeks at a time, and now even extend treatment, even if she looks like it's cured, for a week or so, just to be sure. But within 2 weeks later she gets it again.. I keep my coop clean and always give ACV in their water. Am I doing something wrong? I really don't want to cull her because she is an awesome layer..

Also, we have NO aviary vets within hours of us :/

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What antibiotics have you tried? Have you tried and antifungals like fluconazole or ketoconazole? Has she been wormed with Safeguard or Valbazen? If she were mine I would worm her and treat her with Baytril. If that didn't work I would try fluconazole. Both can be purchased without a prescription.

FYI, you don't need an avian vet, any vet could check a smear and let you know if you have a bacterial infection or fungal infection and they also have the ability to look up medication doses in their Veterinary Drug books.

-Kathy

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I agree, that is a great link and what an eye-opener it was for me!

-Kathy

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    X2,excellent link,very informative!

6. kristinn

kristinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Brighton, MI
    Aww man.. that's what I was afraid of
    :(

Ty for that link though.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It was dawg53 that I got that link from, by the way. Should have given credit where it's due!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by