1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vent Gleet? UPDATED* fecal test indicates tapeworms and roundworms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChxLadyCass, Mar 14, 2017.

1. ChxLadyCass

ChxLadyCass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2017
    La Junta, CO
    At first I thought she was just broody. She was in her nest all day. I noticed she crushed the egg she was sitting in so I kicked her out and cleaned it out. Her stool was runny as I lifted her out. She didn't move much after that and didn't eat treats when I tossed them to her. Note I did treat all the chickens and the coop with permethrin to treat lice. What else can I do for this poor girl?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Probiotics for vent gleet.
    You need to replace the bad stuff with good bacteria and yeasts.
    I use Gro2Max powder but plain yogurt or kefir with active cultures can help.

3. ChxLadyCass

Mar 2, 2017
    La Junta, CO
    And should I separate her and spoil her any other way? I'm just nervous she won't eat!

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She looks really sick. Can you take her to a vet?

5. ChxLadyCass

Mar 2, 2017
    La Junta, CO
    Oh noo, I don't have a vet, but I'm sure I could find one. You don't think it's from the permethrin do you?

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Probitics would be great, but the title of this thread says she's not drinking. Can you bring her inside where it's warm?

7. ChxLadyCass

Mar 2, 2017
    La Junta, CO
    @drumstick diva
    @21hens-incharge
    @snow5164
    @aart
    @lazy gardener

hey friends! you all have been so helpful to me on other threads. Can I get your opinions?

8. ChxLadyCass

Mar 2, 2017
    La Junta, CO
    Yes, it is currently warm outside, but I can bring her inside the garage at the very least. I have it set up for chicks so I can get a chicken hospital put together in there. I have SCOBY I could feed her. Would that be too much? Ahh my poor baby! Thank you for helping!

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Oh, and can you post a picture of her poop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by