Vent Gleet? UPDATED* fecal test indicates tapeworms and roundworms

ChxLadyCass

Songster
6 Years
Mar 2, 2017
La Junta, CO
At first I thought she was just broody. She was in her nest all day. I noticed she crushed the egg she was sitting in so I kicked her out and cleaned it out. Her stool was runny as I lifted her out. She didn't move much after that and didn't eat treats when I tossed them to her. Note I did treat all the chickens and the coop with permethrin to treat lice. What else can I do for this poor girl?

Probiotics for vent gleet.
You need to replace the bad stuff with good bacteria and yeasts.
I use Gro2Max powder but plain yogurt or kefir with active cultures can help.

Probitics would be great, but the title of this thread says she's not drinking. Can you bring her inside where it's warm?

@drumstick diva
@21hens-incharge
@snow5164
@aart
@lazy gardener

hey friends! you all have been so helpful to me on other threads. Can I get your opinions?

Probitics would be great, but the title of this thread says she's not drinking. Can you bring her inside where it's warm?
Yes, it is currently warm outside, but I can bring her inside the garage at the very least. I have it set up for chicks so I can get a chicken hospital put together in there. I have SCOBY I could feed her. Would that be too much? Ahh my poor baby! Thank you for helping!

Quote: All sick birds will be dehydrated, so concentrate on getting fluids into her *before* trying to get her to eat. What is SCOBY?

Anyway... the gleet you're seeing could be from disease, worms, bacterial infection, yeast infection, or a combination. These sorts of things are very hard to diagnose, and even harder to treat if you don't have a bunch of medications and equipment on hand, which is why I suggested a vet.

If she were mine I would start by placing her in a room or cage that's 80 degrees, but watch for signs of overheating, like panting or holding wings away from body. Check her thoroughly for lice and mites, and be sure to look very closely on all part of her body. If bugs are found, treat with permethrin.

Gently palpate her belly to see if it's full of fluid, and compare the meatiness of her breast to another hen of the same breed. What number is she?

I can teach you how to tube feed water and food, that's very safe, humane, and dead easy to do, but if she needs drugs it will be very hard for you to get them, which is why I suggested a vet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom