Vent gleet?

JessiaCox

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2020
Washington
I have a hen just over a year old that I'm pretty sure has vent gleet. I can't tell you how long it's been going on because she is a very fluffy bottom hen and the only reason I noticed today was because she is staying in the nest box. I was worried she was egg bound so I lifted her tail feathers and noticed her vent is bare and looks irritated (red). No open wounds and I have not noticed any bloody stools, but she does have some white pasty looking stools on her feathers. I wiped her vent clean and she ended up passing some white liquidy stool while I was doing that. We have no avian vets anywhere near me so I can't take her to the vet. I have read that yogurt can help but she has always been a finicky hen that doesn't seem to like treats very much except watermelon. With the recent heat wave over here I have been feeding a lot of frozen watermelon to help the chickens in the heat. Online research has said not to feed watermelon with a chicken that has vent gleet so I am holding off right now. I have put clotrimazole cream on her vent and cleaned her. And plan on doing that again tomorrow and so on. I don't know how I'm going to get her to eat yogurt since she is so picky. I ordered medistatin powder to give her, but that will take a few days to get here. Is there more I can do in the mean time. She is still drinking water, but hasn't come out of her nest box in the last 6 hours at least unless I take her out. I currently have a fan blowing towards her because it's still pretty warm.

Yep

Attachments

• 20210629_212620.jpg
    20210629_212620.jpg
    674.3 KB · Views: 49
Can you pan out a bit and try again? Is she sitting on the grass there? Are the white flecks on the grass around her coming from her, or are they something else? If possible, try to get her to stand and get a picture that shows as much of her vent as possible. It may be morning before you get a response, it's nearly midnight here. I don't know where you are but it can be helpful if you add your general area to your profile. I'll flag some of our Educators for you.
@Eggcessive
@azygous
@Wyorp Rock

The white flecks are shavings here are a couple more pictures. She was roosting so hopefully there is enough between these pictures for ya. I am located in Washington. I'll update my profile. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20210629_213937.jpg
    20210629_213937.jpg
    584.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210629_213926.jpg
    20210629_213926.jpg
    548 KB · Views: 47
I would treat for vent gleet.
She may have some other issues going on, make sure her crop is emptying overnight as well. Sometimes a hen may have sour crop in addition to Vent gleet and will need anti-fungal/yeast medication orally as well.

Try to keep the vent cleaned. You can use a barrier on her bottom so the leakage is not quite so irritating. Hen Healer or Nu Stock work well for this.

The abdomen looks a bit fullish - sometimes it can when feathers are wet, but she may be having some reproductive issues. Does she lay eggs?

Crop treatment(s) https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Vent Gleet
https://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/
https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2013/09/vent-gleet-symptoms-causes-and-natural.html

I would treat for vent gleet.
She may have some other issues going on, make sure her crop is emptying overnight as well. Sometimes a hen may have sour crop in addition to Vent gleet and will need anti-fungal/yeast medication orally as well.

Try to keep the vent cleaned. You can use a barrier on her bottom so the leakage is not quite so irritating. Hen Healer or Nu Stock work well for this.

The abdomen looks a bit fullish - sometimes it can when feathers are wet, but she may be having some reproductive issues. Does she lay eggs?

Crop treatment(s) https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Vent Gleet
https://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/
https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2013/09/vent-gleet-symptoms-causes-and-natural.html
She is a laying hen, however we have had some issues with a hen laying a soft shell egg. I added oyster shell to their diet because they free range a lot and probably don't consume much of their layer feed. This morning I checked on her and cleaned around her vent again and applied clotrimazole cream. It was just her and one other hen that slept in that coop last night (we have two) and one of them laid a soft shell egg while on the roost. Given where she was when she went to bed I would guess it was her so I think she is the one laying the soft shell eggs. I didn't notice any issues with her crop and it felt empty this morning. I smelled her breath and didnt notice any foul odor. She definitely had some more white diarrhea last night. She came right out of the coop this morning and ate and drank. I will bath her in warm water and Epsom salt when I get home and I'll apply more cream as well. I'll see if I can find one of those barrier creams at our feed store and order some offline if they don't. If her crop is fine should I give her the medistatin that I bought?

She is a laying hen, however we have had some issues with a hen laying a soft shell egg. I added oyster shell to their diet because they free range a lot and probably don't consume much of their layer feed. This morning I checked on her and cleaned around her vent again and applied clotrimazole cream. It was just her and one other hen that slept in that coop last night (we have two) and one of them laid a soft shell egg while on the roost. Given where she was when she went to bed I would guess it was her so I think she is the one laying the soft shell eggs. I didn't notice any issues with her crop and it felt empty this morning. I smelled her breath and didnt notice any foul odor. She definitely had some more white diarrhea last night. She came right out of the coop this morning and ate and drank. I will bath her in warm water and Epsom salt when I get home and I'll apply more cream as well. I'll see if I can find one of those barrier creams at our feed store and order some offline if they don't. If her crop is fine should I give her the medistatin that I bought?
How long has she had the vent gleet?
Medistatin may help, do your research to determine whether you want to use it or not.

If you suspect she's the one laying the soft shelled eggs, then I would give her 1 Caltrate with D3 once a day for 3-5 days to see if that helps.

How long has she had the vent gleet?
Medistatin may help, do your research to determine whether you want to use it or not.

If you suspect she's the one laying the soft shelled eggs, then I would give her 1 Caltrate with D3 once a day for 3-5 days to see if that helps.
I can't say for sure I only noticed yesterday when I lifted her to pull eggs from under her so they didn't break.

Back
Top Bottom