vent gleet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lily12, Feb 16, 2013.

1. lily12

lily12 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    first i noticed ethel was getting alot thinner a few days ago. i thought the others werent letting her eat so i started trying to feed her by hand more but she didnt seem that interested then she stoped coming out to wonder round the garden and just slept in the doorway of the sleeping hut instead. when i looked at her her comb was going purple, she had poo on her feathers round her vent her feathers were fluffed up she stands hunched up.

i gave her a bath to clean her vent and have separated her from the others.today all she would eat was worms and other insects no pellets. i put apple cider vineger in her water and she drank some but not much.she slept most of the day and didnt get up.

i think she might have vent gleet so does anyone know any cures????

also around christmas she was what i think was egg-bound but when she got better she didnt lay an egg so im not sure but she seemed to make a full recovery.

thanks for any help or advice.

[​IMG]

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    How old is she?
    I would feel for an egg, as internal with gloved finger and vaseline. Give her a good exam, is her abdomen large, or her crop? Is she having trouble breathing?

3. lily12

Jan 27, 2013
    shes about 2 years and one mounth old and her crop is very skinny and i can feel her bone.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If her comb goes purple, have you thought of cardiac problem?

5. lily12

Jan 27, 2013
    whats that?????[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by