VENT. Heartbroken. Chickens for 12 yrs. and have never had to cancel order.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by chickchoon1, Mar 3, 2015.

1. chickchoon1

chickchoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    My mom is going downhill,etc and I had 12 various blue chicks and some welsummers to p/u at hatch in 3 weeks but had to cancel and almost cried on phone while doing it.Forgot to "latch" duck pen last night and the door was ajar this a.m. and tiny call drake is gone. Only have Pekin girl now and she was very vocal but, of course, ate! We had to take out a raccoon at 11 last night that had gotten into the pen and my son did that quick but that breaks my heart too. Am heartbroken. This winter has been one of the worst.[​IMG]

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    [​IMG] So sorry for all your misfortunes. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. It has been a very LONG winter. But, it's almost done. Hang in there!

3. chickchoon1

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    TY very very much. Just got home from visiting ma and go thru regret of canceling chicks but after checking the chickens and reminding myself of the mess thats grown(deep litter hopefully to be gutted this weekend!)I will be patient for a better time. 11 days until hope of spring peepers peepin.TY again.

4. Watermelon123

Watermelon123 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Northern Ohio,
    I am so sorry for all you are going through. Last year was "The Year Of Bad Luck" for me. So many passings, so many broken hearts, so many dissipointments. As my mother would say "everything will be good at the end; and if it's not okay, its not the end." Hang in there and we will be here for you.[​IMG]

-Bridie

5. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    That is a good saying your mother said @Watermelon123 [​IMG] and true, so true!

6. chickchoon1

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    Took me a moment but thats gooood. TY. Hopefully I can pass that on to her in a few days.

7. Watermelon123

Watermelon123 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Northern Ohio,
    Thank you. I love that saying; Got me through some hard times. I don,t think she would mind me sharing it.

8. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Leaving the door ajar is something you will beat yourself up over for sure. I have been there and done that. Life seems all about loss at times. Try not to get discourage. I hope some sunshine comes into your life soon back yard buddy.

1 person likes this.
  9. chickchoon1

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    TY for niceness. I have to beat myself up so am not surprised when others do! But seriously ty. Just went out and pulled stick out of pet hens crop and am shocked at the maladies this winter!!! Created by forgetfulness/neglect. Argh!!!!

10. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Is she ok?? One of my hens swallowed a feed bag string. She is blind in one eye. When I got home almost the whole string had been swallowed. I tried to pull it out only to find it was wrapped around her tongue. I thought she would die for sure. But I gave her olive oil soaked bread, grit, celery sticks for 2days. She pulled through just fine, and now (months later) she is still with us. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by