Vent issue- something coming out???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lampe731, Nov 22, 2011.

1. lampe731

lampe731 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    Delkab Amberlink 10mo, ?

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Less enthusiastic doesn't flap around- something sticking out of vent area. Looks and feels like a tendon or rubberband texture

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    noticed acting off yesterday morning.. check again today more throughly

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    nothing [​IMG]

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    crop seems full so I'm assuming her layena and treats (bannana this am, pork this evening)

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    haven't seen

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    tried to gently pull on elasticy thing to see if it would just come out... no luck

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    hopefully myself... going out of town thursday [​IMG]

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    see below

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    pine shavings over dirt/ gravel raised about 3 feet

[​IMG]

2. lampe731

Jun 1, 2011
    I also forgot to mention that her vent smells bad... Not like normal chicken but... Just read some stuff about tapeworm and that didn't quite fit... This doesn't seem to be segmented.

Please help!

3. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Could she have eaten a rubber band or something made of rubber? If so, I would try mineral oil, lots of it and a warm area, hope she passes it. Don't pull, it could be wrapped around an intestine. If it doesn't come out within 8 hours of administering mineral oil, your only choices would be a vet for x-rays or maybe to put her down.

4. lampe731

Jun 1, 2011
    It looks "organic" to me.. IE not machined like a hair tie or anything. It stretches like a rubberband or like a tendon on meat. It is a little crusty but gummybear ish when squeezed.

Sorry,-
    Having trouble finding words.... I never thoguht I would liken a gummy bear to something coming out of my chickens vent.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  5. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Don't apologize, I can watch surgery while eating a ham sandwich. Is she pooping around it? I would say, take her to a vet.

6. lampe731

Jun 1, 2011
    I definitely wouldn't be able to do that! Esp if it was ham... lol.

Unfortunately I am flying out of town Thursday early AM and I am working long hours tomorrow... I'm not going to have time to get her to the vet. I was hoping there would be something I could do with her...

I'm starting to wonder if it was a severely malformed egg that maybe got stuck??

7. ProudNewChickenMommy86

ProudNewChickenMommy86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    Acworth, Ga
    I Say Lube Her Up Inside And Out To See If It Slides Out... Seperate Her So The Others Don't Pick On Her While She Tries To Pass It...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by