1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vent issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ambe0487, Apr 9, 2017.

1. ambe0487

ambe0487 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    Help please, I was sitting with my girls today taking photos and noticed sobering wrong with my Naked Neck/Brahma mix's vent. I brought her in and soaked her in some warm water to relax and remove the stuck feathers.

This was after bath. I'm wondering if she had an egg break because she has some dried egg goo on her feathers farther down her vent.

I have her inside in a dog kennel in low light currently and have sprayed her with Blu-Kote in the mean time.

2. ambe0487

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ambe0487

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    I gave her a mixture of crushed egg shells, yogurt, layer pellets, and poly vi sol (no iron). She is eating and drinking fine. Any suggestions on what to do?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Her vent could be a little swollen from perhaps being egg bound or straining to lay a large egg, or possibly scabbed from pecking. It doesn't appear as a prolapsed vent, but just a little swollen. The butt soak was good, and having calcium for her to eat as she needs it is helpful as well as the vitamins to help harden her shells.

5. ambe0487

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    They have oyster shell available as needed and layer pellets. I'm wondering if she isn't absorbing as she needs. I'll try to increase some fish based oils to see if that helps as well as soaking her daily.

She is a big girl so it is hard to get a good soak even in my large farmhouse sink!

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There is a good article called "Common egg quality problems" that you can read by doing a search here on BYC or by Googling it. It gives reasons for thin shells. I have a couple of hens who have plenty of layer feed plus oyster shell available always, and still lay thin shells.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  7. ambe0487

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    Thank you for the recommendations!!!

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by