1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vent issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ashleymarie82, Sep 7, 2016.

1. ashleymarie82

ashleymarie82 Just Hatched

Aug 4, 2016
    Backstory, I ordered 6 splash and 9 blue Cochins and 1 male EE from Cackle Hatchery back in April. ALL of the splash died. All but 4 of the blues died. The EE is fine. I eventually contacted the company because the blues were actually barred [​IMG] So they resent my order. Several of these birds had prolapsed vents, or by the time I found them, pecked out vents.

Fast forward...I have my new order. They are 4 weeks old. I just found a splash with a protruding vent. She is pooping a lot and eating a little. I gave her a bath and pushed it back it but when she pooped it came back out. Any suggestions?

Also, what causes this? I have 70 chickens and have had chickens for several years. I have NEVER had this issue.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Space....Sounds like a protein issue...?
    Once feather pecking starts it is almost impossible to stop....

You have a real big problem on your hands...70 birds are a lot to deal with....

3. ashleymarie82

Aug 4, 2016
    No, I don't have a big problem on my hands. These 4 week old chicks are in the brooder. My other birds are not as they are various ages up to 4 years old. And they are in several different coops and nobody is pecking her.

4. chickens really

How many in the brooder, how big is the brooder? Boredom comes to mind...Ready to be set out into a bigger world...I put mine out at three weeks into the coop..This year I had 32 chicks..Ran heat for a few nights and during the day it was off to toughen them up for cooler temps...Never had your problem...Try adding stumps, sand, tree branches?
    Sounds like pecking...?
    Bring the chick in and wash its butt...Vaseline its butt...Try that....

5. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Sorry you're having problems with your chicks. I just read your other post about blood in poop and assuming that's the same chick. Blood in poop typically indicates coccidiosis. It is in the environment and nothing you did wrong. It is easily treated with corid from farm supply store if in the states. I would treat all of those new chicks quickly as it is a fast killer but a fast cure once medicated. Best of luck and let us know how she's doing.

Edited to add prep H, calm environment and gently reinsert vent as often as needed. The coccidiosis is probably causing straining which resulted in prolapse.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  6. ashleymarie82

Aug 4, 2016
    I did start Corid yesterday and noticed the vent today. I didn't realize coccidia caused straining. If so then that's probably the culprit. All birds in the brooder were treated yesterday including this one. I poked it back in again. I will run and get some prep h

7. ashleymarie82

Aug 4, 2016

I have always kept mine in the brooder until fully feathered. My coops outside are all sand and we collect drift wood from the river (short ride on the side by side for us) for them to perch and play on. Of corse, there is no driftwood in the brooder lol. The brooder is a huge water trough.

8. chickens really

Actually I do put stumps in my brooder...Branches and things to break down boredom....lol

9. ashleymarie82

Aug 4, 2016
    Poop is no longer bloody after having Corid. Pushed the vent back in 3 times - twice with prep h. It hasn't come back out side last night. She is still pooping, eating and drinking. Acting totally fine but j am keeping a watch on her vent. Thanks guys :)

My "LOL" was aimed at myself for saying I didn't have driftwood in the brooder. The driftwood I have outside are huge pieces and wouldn't fit. That's why I said lol.

10. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    That's great news :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by