vent leaking clear fluid

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Murphyslaw123, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Murphyslaw123

Murphyslaw123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    I have a 22 month old easter egger who has been healthy to this point. She has been through a molt and hasn't laid for at least 2-3 months. She was eating/drinking today. I found her about an hour ago outside alone, the others pecking on her. I then watched her jump into a nest box where she (clearly uncomfortable) sat for a long time, leaking clear fluid from her vent. Vent looks red, she is straining. I inserted a gloved, lubricated finger into the vent and I feel nothing. I isolated her to a warm room in a large dog crate. Any ideas? I have to run out for 2 hours but will check her when I return. Thanks.

2. Murphyslaw123

Nov 18, 2012
    I think straining isn't the right word. Puckering or pulsating may be better. She is making uncomfortable noises though. :(

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If you have already checked her and can feel nothing,it is possible she is getting back into laying mode and is having a bit of trouble. Keep an eye on her,if she appears in distress,check for egg binding again.

If you decide she is egg bound,you can give her a calcium or tums tablet or liquid calcium this often helps pass egg,keep her quiet and in a warm/dark location. You can also try a warm water soak,but only if she is not in serious distress/lethargic/panting,if she exhibits these symptoms,do not bath as this could push her over the edge.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  4. Murphyslaw123

Nov 18, 2012
    Thanks for your response. Would it hurt or help to soak her now? Or should I let her rest for the night? While she appeared to have a typical morning, she is uninterested in eating or drinking at this point. Poor thing looked very uncomfortable. I'm hoping tomorrow will be better for her.

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Is she does not appear too stressed,then try warm water soak. You can dry her with a blow dryer on low setting after,but do the cloacal exam if no improvement.

6. Murphyslaw123

Nov 18, 2012
    I just checked her after taking my daughter to dance. She actually seemed to be acting a bit better, happier, more like herself. She was walking around and I swear if she could talk, she would have asked to be put back with the others. She kept staring at the door. I won't do that quite yet though, I want to observe her a bit longer. Her vent looks normal and she wasn't doing that pulsing oozing thing; however, when she pooped it was pure water. She had some wet shavings in the dog crate also. She didn't want any food at all but drank a ton. I added electrolytes and probiotics to the water, hoping that will help her. After a few minutes of me messing with her, she walked back into the crate on her own, bedded down, and closed her eyes, as if to say "leave me alone! I'm tired!" We will see if I can get her to eat anything tomorrow morning. She did have food in her crop at 5pm tonight, so I'm not all that concerned with the lack of eating yet. Fingers crossed tomorrow is better for her. Thanks for the help! I will update tomorrow.

7. Murphyslaw123

Nov 18, 2012
    It always amazes me what a little "alone time" in the dog crate does for my sick hens. This morning she was talkative before I even opened the door to see her. When I got inside, I noticed normal poop in the crate, so that made me happy. Then I saw in the back corner, a large, soft, broken shelled egg. She is drinking like crazy!! Can a bird drink too much? She has also been observed to eat a few small bites of breakfast, so I am very hopeful that this is it. I will keep an eye on her as I know that sometimes they can have more than one egg be stuck. I wasn't aware that this could/might happen for the first egg after a molt. Thanks for the help. I'm very happy with how she looks today! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by