Vent.. neighbor doesn't want my chickens on her back lawn.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jennyhaschicks, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Here we go. I saw the neighbors boys throwing rocks at my chickens today. They were over on the back lawn which half of it is mine and half is theirs. She told me she doesn't want my chickens to poop on her lawn because they have a new house. I told her chickens don't poop as much as dogs. She complained about the smell of our 4 pigs we had this summer and our dog went over there the other night and made her dog bark. [​IMG] She complained about the roosters as well.
    I called her back to work this out because I don 't want to argue with my neighbor. I told her that we will have to put a fence up because we want them to free range. She said they don't want a fence. I guess that's too bad.
    She said she will call the town if they come over. When I talked to her the second time she didn't mention calling the town, but said she is going to continue shooing them over here. I told her I would do the same.
    So I am thinking next year I may raise 7 pigs instead of 4. I think I might get a couple more roosters and put up the ugliest old fence EVER!
    This is going to be a long ride I can feel it coming.

2. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Why not just put up a fence and keep your animals safe and in your yard??

3. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Sounds to me like rocks wouldn't be good for their or your lawn mower!

A fence sounds like the simplest answer.

Good luck!

4. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    why? they ARE your chickens, she didn't ask for them, its up to you to keep them up.

5. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Or you can just put a fence up on the property line, then it will be cased closed.

6. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Sorry I kind of agree with your neighbor. I wouldn't want someone elses livestock on my lawn either. No offense, it's just my honest thought that my chickens should stay in my yard, so we put up a green wire type fence between us and the neigbors yard and against the grass and trees, you can't really even see it because it blends in. This keeps her dog out of my yard and my dogs and chickens out of hers. Everyone is happy.

7. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Thats true. Part of the story is that my kids ride their go kart on one portion of their lawn where they turn around on our part of the lawn. Their one acre is squared off. After she told me to keep the kids off we did. Then they let their boys ride their dirt bikes on our FRONT lawn over and over until I told them to ride down back.
    I think she is just doing this out of spite. That is kinda what it narrows down to.

But then to tell me they don't want a fence bordering their property to keep the chickens over here is another thing. It's like what does she want us to do?

8. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

yup,, a fence, or no birds, or no neighbor are the only answers,, she has every right to throw rocks at them when their on her side of the lawn,, and since ya really cant see the "line" then a fence would show everyone where their "rights" are.

9. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Hmmm, sounds to me like ya need to contain your animals. Not trying to be rude, just honest.

I have to agree, if I were your neighbor I wouldn't want your animals on my lawn, either. You can put up a fence, with or without their "permission" if it is on YOUR part of the property. Just make sure you don't put it too close to variances on their property.

peace -
    Meri

10. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

We have one of those neighbors [​IMG]
    She has the gall to tell us that we can't cut the trees on our place, so DH told her he wouldn't - he bulldozed them down instead. [​IMG] She complained about our dogs barking - just about anything we do - she doesn't like it. She also complained about how we put up our fencing, we compromised and done it how she asked - which cost us more and then she goes behind us and puts up her own fence 4 feet from ours. We could have saved money - if we knew she was going to do that.
    The last tiime I dealt with her - she was complaining about the radio I keep on at the barn when I have horses in the stalls. You couldn't even hear it until you was under our barn. She was complaining to DH who always tries to keep the peace, he is a deputy and does it or a living. Well me - I got tired of her crap and told her. I also told her my horses were more important to me then her (she was complaining that the radio hurt her inner ears). She then told me I was being inhumane. So be it, we haven't spoken since and that was last winter.

Good luck with your neighbor, hope all works out.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by