Vent! Neighbors Dog...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by morelcabin, May 31, 2008.

1. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I am not in a good mood today:/ We have two dogs, one is tied and the other is controlled with a radio fence. My neighbor lets his run loose 24/7. Last year it got about 6 of my chickens. I put electric fencing up and it stopped that, but the dog comes here every day hoping something has changed...and to tease my dog from the other side of the wire, or to chase my dog through the flower gardens I have worked so hard on!
    Last week, my neighbors dog ate the fgamous goose that lives down the road. This goose was rescued from the shoreline by my neighbor last summer as a baby. It has been featured on the discovery channel a few times, made the papers over and over again, and well, it is loved by all the neighbors. Well, the dog ate it...and the lady that owned it is very upset.
    I have warned my neighbor numerous times to take control of his dog, especially since this goose got eaten.
    It is still here everyday. Today I grabbed it and tied it up to a tree in my yard so I could at leastr open my coop up and air it out a little because I would know where the dog is...THat only lasted a total of 10 minutes. His kids heard it howling and came and untied it. SHEESH! Not sure where it is now, but even if it IS tied at his place it won't be for more than an hour.
    To top it all off, he is a very good friend of ours...and I like everything else about him:rolleyes:

2. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    I would contact you local animal control person. I don't know what the move is from animals to children, but the dog sounds like a menace, and could be dangerous given the opportunity... what type of dog is this?

You can also search the animal control laws in your area. Be informed before "tattling" on your neighbor. Here in NY we have a leash law, and if you dog isn't on a leash off your property forget about it... we have a couple of dogs who tourment our dogs, they have even taken chunks out of them. We also have a problem with the woman across the street and her cats (she has about 10-15 of them including kittens) and lets them run the neighborhood also tourmenting the dogs. This is the same woman with the dogs. She's also our babysitter so we have to be careful...[​IMG]

3. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Animal control knows this dog well, it was in and out of the pound every week last summer...my neighbor used to complain bout other people who complained about his dog and got her locked up, but he still doesn't keep her on his own property.

The dog is great with kids, that I have no worries about

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Heartbreaking about that poor young goose. And about your chickens before that.
    Sorry, but this dog's humans are irresponsible thoughtless lower life forms. To keep letting the dog loose after those tragedies - there is NO excuse good enough.
    I would really consider quietly rehoming it -
    JJ

5. call animal control and tell them that your neighbor's dog threatened you and you are afraid of him, let animal control put him down.If he ate the goose he will eat you or one of your kids

6. Red Tie

Red Tie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Metamora, MI
    It sounds as if you have to choose- keep this guy as a friend and do nothing. Or tell him to keep his dog locked up or you will call animal control. I hate to sound mean but or laws here in MI allow us to shoot a dog that is a threat to us or our livestock. Fines are also involved if you catch the dog and they have to come and get it. More fines if the dog is unlicensed. You could also just take the dog yourself to a shelter farther away......

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Well Morel, I gonna calls it as I sees it...your neighbour is an A$$!
    He doesn't deserve to have that dog, especially since it's always in your place teasing your dogs.

I'm with Judy on the goose...a senseless and tragic loss

Any dog that chases and KILLS livestock is a dead dog...period end of matter...

8. DUccleDude

DUccleDude Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Cameron Mills, NY
    I have a similar problem. I went and bought a single pump bb gun and that seems to do the trick. The bb gun is not strong enough to penetrate the skin, but it stings like heck!! keeps my neighbors dog away!

9. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    If the dog owner is a friend, he will keep his dog away from you! That's how I see it, anyway. I told all my neighbors when my coop was finished to keep their dogs away. They did for the most part. My dog is ok with my chickens.

10. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Dont take the dog to the local animal shelter . Take it to a neighboring county shelter and tell them you found running on some busy road. If he has a collar take it off so they dont know who the dog belongs to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by