vent ooze

kbu

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 15, 2010
laying hen with ooze from her vent area.
ok. i have a hen that i posted a question about the other day with what seamed to be a slight prolaspsed vent. she has been in a cage on her own, kept warm and had a small amount of prep. H put on and cleaned up a few times. she was given a little olive oile on some food and a spoonful of yogurt for 2 days to help with everything and a drop of AC vinegar in her water. she has since had her vent go back like it should, has been having normal poop and has laid an egg yesterday...all is ok with the vent going back each time now like it should.......

the problem i am with now....

she still has an amount of ooze coming from the vent area and running down her rump. it was a constant flow. drip of ooze, now it is still there but dose not run as much.
this stuff is not infection. she does not apear to have diarrhea as her poop is "normal" now. it is a clear and a white liquid coming from the vent. i do not know if it is the liquid part of poop that is just flowing or if it is the clear liquid that goes is on the egg as it slips out of the vent so it "slips" out easy. i am not sure and so i do not know what to do for her to make it better?!?
any ideas and suggestions on how to help her get better would be greatly appreciated.
thank you.

I have little experience with laying issues (yet), but because I have all production hens and some are getting quite old for layers I do a lot of reading on these issues in preparation for future times.

I am thinking of 2 possibilities- vent gleet or an egg that broke inside (maybe a soft-shelled egg?). Vent gleet is a yeast infection that causes some nasty, stinky, white discharge. This needs to be treated systemically because it is rarely just present in the vent but rather throughout the whole system. This is contagious to other birds, so the affected bird should be separated from her cohorts. Here's a decent write up courtesy of Wikipedia-
http://ultimatefowl.atwiki.com/page/Vent Gleet
Vent gleet can also be the result of weakened musculature, and not necessarily as a result of yeast overgrowth. If this is the case then there is not much that can be done other than keeping the bird as clean and comfortable as possible. These birds don't respond to anti-fungals and usually have other issues (constipation, diarrhea, laying problems) as well.

An egg that has broken inside can be encouraged to come out by warm baths. You will need to monitor the bird for signs of infection. If this has happened then this is a pretty dangerous situation for the bird. Any possibility of doing an internal exam to feel for shell or membrane fragments (gloved finger up the vent)?

I hope someone with more first hand knowledge comes along soon to help you out. Consider this a BUMP. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

thanks for the info to start with...
i thought broken egg the first day (as she got a bad fright that morning) and was not sure...but then she laid an egg and nothing came out with it but that egg she laid (that i know of, or could see)
did not think of a yeast problem...will look into that.
thanks again...any info helps.
big_smile.png

she is doing fine today. she has no ooze now and we have cleaned her rump up.
thanks for help!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom