vent over vertical pop door...? (updated pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ScotH, Sep 13, 2010.

1. ScotH

ScotH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    South East Texas
    The panels that are installed at the bottom are about 10" for deep litter, so that's where the pop door starts.. the total opening is 14" wide by 30" tall, but the door frame will only be about 14" tall

I am wanting to use the extra space above the door for ventilation\\window when the door is closed.... Has anyone used a design like that?

[​IMG]

Here's a better picture:
    [​IMG]

My lifting string will run on the inside of the coop, so the wire mesh will be on the outside of the frame.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  2. ScotH

ScotH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    South East Texas
    I'm also struggling with the design of the roof I want it simple, but fairly strong against the wind and possible falling branches...

... about to make a run to the feed store to buy dog food and check prices on feed and such.... and look at their chickens [​IMG] \\

3. ScotH

ScotH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    South East Texas
    Thanks for ALL the responces... [​IMG]

The feed store has a few RiRs, an Australorp and an Americuana... I wish I was ready to get them now. [​IMG]

Anyway, I ended up spending $40 on some 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth, enough to cover the lower part of my run and my coop vents.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    The second picture really helps. I was having a hard time understanding what you were thinking about from the first picture.

I guess you could do it that way, but I just built simple rectangular vents that are up at the top of my north and south walls. Easy to construct, easy to close with flaps as needed.

With where you live, you're really going to be needing plenty of ventilation for the summer, especially if the coop is not in the shade. Closed coops can turn into ovens in the summer sun.

Have you thought about insulating the roof with those radiant barrier panels?

5. ScotH

ScotH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    South East Texas
    I was thinking of putting some sort of reflective insulation under the roof, but in the summer they will have partial shade.

I'm going to make the low side of the roof on the front\
    un side, so the vents will be 'somewhat' protected from the rain, I'll have to design a sliding cover for them as the PVC will be attached to that wall.

6. ScotH

ScotH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    South East Texas
    (Update, in case anyone wanted to see how my looks)

Here is the pop door, looks like it will work... after I bent the wire out of the way.

[​IMG]

The front of my coop almost done and got started on the roof .... I made the roof frame 7 feet wide, which is OK, but I 'accidentally' made the depth over 6 feet deep so I'll have to cut 3 inches off the front or back to be able to use the standard 12 foot long corrugated roof panels cut in half... Doh!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by