Vent Pecking Deaths

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by michody, Nov 30, 2016.

1. michody

michody New Egg

Nov 30, 2016
    We had 80 chickens each with 8 square feet of indoor space. A few weeks ago they started vent pecking to the point of killing each other. I get 1-3 dead chickens a day. I am now down to 50ish chickens. I cannot keep going like this. I have tried the peepers but that only helped for about 2 days. They have roosts, nesting boxes, and I give them things like pumpkins and flock blocks to peck at. I have raised chickens for 15 years and never seen anything like this. Any ideas?

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Sounds like they might have been crowded. Do they have outdoor space as well?

3. michody

michody New Egg

Nov 30, 2016
    Right now they don't have outside space. The back of our barn is next to a field and the farmers don't want to chickens in them.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Could you tell us the breed, ages, what you are feeding and give us good pics of your setup and birds? Cannibalism almost always turns out to be from too little space causing the birds to be overstressed, but it sure would be nice to have more details.

5. Vermont Poultry

Vermont Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    Wow that is crazy, I didn't know a single chicken could peck on another till point of death, chickens seem bomb proof weird to think this could happen. I would monitor them maybe even put a game camera or something in their to watch them.

6. Vermont Poultry

Vermont Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    Any update as too what happened or how it was fixed? I am really curious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by