Vent Pictures!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cheeptrick, Aug 28, 2007.

1. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Ok...I changed my mind on the vent pictures because I just couldn't bring myself to document that I was truly inspecting vents! [​IMG]
    BUT...one chickens vent is wide and moist and most of the other 23 are still round, dry, and hard to find in the mass of feathers. So dh and I scoured the property looking for an egg...any EGG! No luck! AND no eggs this morning either! [​IMG]

2. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    [​IMG]
    I started to tell my husband about differences in vents, and he told me there are some things he REALLY doesn't want to know about! [​IMG]

3. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    I take a peek. When nobody's around.
    My chicken look back at me like I'm a pervert. [​IMG]

4. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    Ahem, what is the best way to do this and why would we need to? :eek:

5. GAhen

GAhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Carrollton GA
    Hi cheeptrick,
    i am waiting on my first egg too.
    I hate to say it....but it is driving my crazy.....
    I go down and sweet talk my girls and still nothing.
    I know your kids are anxiously waiting......I hope it is soon for both of us.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:Well, often you can do this to pick out the birds who are not laying. Even birds in molt will still have moist vents. You do it by basically turning the bird around and lifting up their tails. It is also a good way to check for bugs and lice since that's where they often hang out. Warm moist places.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by