vent plug on the incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wjallen05, Feb 4, 2009.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    got another question (sorry!) on the manuel it says to remove one of the vent plugs on the bator, but online it says to remove it on day 18. Do I keep it on until the 18th day or what?

2. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    vent plugs are to help with the humidity, if the humidity is high you can take out the plug if your humidity is fine just leave the plug, i removed the plug only when i put to much water in and the humidity jumped way up but it is just used to control that so just do as neccesary it cant hurt your eggs

3. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    I don't have anything to test the humidity.... [​IMG]

4. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    u r going to need it do you have a walmart near by as they have temp gauges that have the Hygrometer built in i have 2 of them in my bator right now
    it is this one:
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10671021 its less then 7 bucks it you would like a good hatch i suggest you buy one, as this can help save a couple chicks even if it helps you save 2 chicks u can sale them and make your money back it is a wise investment ot gey a Hygrometer reader, Hygrometer reader reads humidy thats what it is called

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  5. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    ok thank you so much! what should I keep the humidity set at?

6. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    the humidity ranges from the area you live in but i would say around 40% to 50% but like i said it is diffrent for every1

7. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Hey Jamie!

You need to keep your humidity around 40-50% for the first 18 days, then up it to 50-70% when you take the turner out if you have one. If not, when you stop manually turning on day 18, you need to try to keep your humidity up to that until everyone hatches.Hope all is well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by