1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vent poping out

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Easter eggers, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    One of my hens vent is like poping out kinda?does any one know how to help

2. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    How old is she? Was she laying eggs?
    I would put on a latex-type glove with some preparation H on it and gently push it back in. I would separate her from the others, since they will peck her vent.
    Try to keep her crate dark, as light stimulates ovulation. I would put some preparation H in there every couple of days. I would feed her only soft food for a couple days. Give her water, and be sure she has grit too.
    Good luck!

3. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    How old is she? Was she laying eggs?
    I would put on a latex-type glove with some preparation H on it and gently push it back in. I would separate her from the others, since they will peck her vent.
    Try to keep her crate dark, as light stimulates ovulation. I would put some preparation H in there every couple of days. I would feed her only soft food for a couple days. Give her water, and be sure she has grit too.
    Good luck!

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They pop out like that when they lay an egg. It is called vent prolapse if it stays like that afterwards, is all I know. It sounds like you are getting advice already, but thought I would chime in the little I knew.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by