VENT! Post Office Delivery Today.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmgirlie1031, May 30, 2008.

1. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    My rural mail lady is very very good at bringing all packages up to my house. Today I was waiting because I was expecting a package. It's stormed earlier and may rain again. It's 80 some degrees. So I think maybe the PO is running late. It's only 3:00 and she normally comes at 2:00. So I took my dog out and see a plastic bag attached to the mail box swinging in the wind. It's my eggs! The box is marked fragile. Do not x-ray! Hatching eggs! Protect from temp. extremes. And it's just hanging on my mailbox.

I think she must have had the day off. But I still can't believe the other person did that! What if someone drove past and stole them? AHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And if I had not seen them. I was going to walk down and check the mail anyways but still.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2008
  2. brookwoodpat

brookwoodpat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    I think this is something you need to mention to the post office. And I speak as someone who was a relief mail carrier. They have a horrible job -- particularly the stand ins, but still...

3. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    OH my that is terrible. I feel for you and hope that the eggs still turn out to be ok. I have eggs that were shipped Tuesday morning from South Carolina to Virginia and they didn't arrive today.

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I don't know if you did this already or not? I always have the seller put my phone number on the outside of the box of eggs plus I call my post office and forwarn them of the incoming eggs. Might be we are a small town and the post office folks here go out of their way to take care of any eggs or chicks they receive here at the local office. They call me as soon as they unload the truck, before hours to come get the eggs. I have even had them come visit the chicks. [​IMG] Now that being said...............I am having trouble getting the shipped eggs to hatch due to the EXTREMELY ROUGH handling of the boxes marked "fragile, hatching eggs" enroute to local office. [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I always have the seller put my phone number on the outside of the box of eggs plus I call my post office and forwarn them of the incoming eggs

Carrie, I've had them dump a box of eggs in the snow on a driveway even when I did that AND the customer told them beforehand not to deliver. They really dont care most of the time.​

6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I think it must be where you live or else the postal people themselves. Mine actually came out to see the rescue chickens Justusnak sent me last year. [​IMG] When the box came in and was crushed they called me about it and were very upset over it. I remember your post about the box of eggs left in the snow. There are so many horror stories on here and yet they keep raising the postal charges???? :thun

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think some of it depends on your actual delivery person. If I call the person in charge at our small town P.O. he'll tell me they will NOT call anyone to pick up anything and will NOT hold packages unless they hold ALL the mail. BUT, if I tell my own delivery guy, Mike, that I have eggs coming in and not to deliver them, he'll be glad to call-he's incubated eggs himself, LOL.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That sucks. But with thousands of packages and someone who just doesn't take the time to read, especially if doing some else's route... maybe they just didn't know any better.

Issue I have about complaints of postal prices going up and service not changing is that... well gas prices are up, so can you blame a business for needing to increase the cost of delivery if the transport of goods depends largely on gas prices?

9. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I would call the post office and ask for the supervisor or postmaster and put in a complaint. We are generally NOT allowed to do that unless the recipient says it is okay and NEVER when it is fragile (we're supposed to hand deliver those to the door if they won't fit in the mail box and I normally do that even if they will).

I'm guessing it was a sub unfamiliar with things, but even so...yeah...no reason for that.

10. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:[​IMG] Mine, too...and honestly, I'm shocked more mail people won't do it. Saves us a trip and saves us getting out of the car to deliver your package. ;-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by