Vent Problem! Need help please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kl115, Mar 27, 2017.

1. kl115

kl115 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2014
    This past Thursday night I noticed my hen had what seemed to be a prolapsed vent. We isolated her in a crate. Bathed her the next night with epsom salt & used cortisone cream on her vent. Did the same the following night & let her soak in the tub. She is still prolapsed (the tissue looks awful). Tried pushing it back in, she forces it right back out. She acts like it is painful, which I don't doubt! She also has an abundance of clear/white draining. I have tried probiotics in her water, ACV in her water, yougurt in her feed 3 times daily I have tried applying hemorrhoid cream, anti fungal cream & cortisone cream. She is no better. Her coloring is beautiful and she is all good otherwise. What else can I do to help her? Thanks for reading! [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What does the vent tissue look like? It it dark red or is there any black or gray tissue? Has she laid any eggs since ahe prolapsed? She has some swelling under her vent--has that been there before? I would soak her bottom and clean her up again. Take a picture. If there is any dark or black tissue, it needs to come off with gentle scrubbing with a rag until you see it bleeds slightly. Keep the vent moist with hemorrhiod cream or oil, and push it in, then hold it there for ten minutes or so while you are holding her in a towel (a disposable glove is good here.) Sometimes the cloaca tissue dies if it turns dark, and it may never function again. Prolapses can heal and then occur again later. Sometimes the large intestines will come out and then you have to put them down.

3. kl115

kl115 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2014
    I will try and bathe her again & take another picture. She isn't one that likes to be handled so this is not an easy task but, I'll do my best! I want to help her get well if at all possible! Thank you for the reply! I have been cleaning her bottom daily with vetericyn spray. I forgot to mention that in my original post. What can I do about her trying to push the tissue back out?

4. kl115

kl115 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2014
    Also yes, despite being kept in a pretty dark isolated area she has layed daily except for one day.

5. kl115

kl115 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2014
    After a long epsom salt soak, a good washing with a wash rag, and hemorrhoid cream, this is what we have. She instantly began draining again. The whitish yellow stuff seems like it wants to come off but I can't get it. If I tried to work it off with my gloves fingers she freaked out. But part of it did come loose. Not sure if this drainage buildup that's stuck? She is not buldging nearly as bad as she was the first few days.[​IMG][/IMG]

6. kl115

kl115 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2014
    [​IMG]

7. kl115

kl115 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2014
    [​IMG]

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Well, it doesn't look black, but I would keep trying to get the yellow gunk off. Most hens are supposed to stop laying when in a dark room or covered cage for 16 hours overnight every day. Decreasing the protein and amount of food can help, but keep plenty of water available for her. Treating a prolapse is very frustrating. Most people used to cull all chickens with this problem. A lot of this depends on how much time you have to spend on her, and if she appears to be suffering.

9. kl115

kl115 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2014
    Thank you for your replies. It certainly is frustrating. She does not appear to be suffering at all. She almost fell asleep while washing her backside. Her appetite & coloring are great. She scratches around the cage looking for treasures, lol. I'm just at a loss as to what do do about the drainage & buildup. I feel we'd be on the right track if I could get that under control. I appreciate your time & input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by