Vent problem on week old chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sj3364, Jun 19, 2011.

1. sj3364

sj3364 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI
    My BPR chick has been having pasty butt issues. The other chick was pecking at her vent so I separated them with hardware cloth and have been cleaning the chick's butt by soaking in warm water and removing the poo. My question is that her vent is really large and distended. Is this normal? She seems to really strain when pooping. Is she constipated?

Here's a pic. Her vent sticks out farther than her little tail.

[​IMG]

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. MydearWatson

MydearWatson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    I am NO expert but I had a little one with bad pasty butt and possible prolapse (which it kind of looks like yours is heading there). I would soak her butt in warm water with a ton of sugar in it then I would let her sleep in a microwaved towel until she was dry and then I put Preperation H on the vent. I did this for three days and she was totally back to normal and has been fine since. I hope you are able to help your little one feel better!

3. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    preparation H is awesome for this!! Be diligent and it will get better. I have a girl who lays me the most beautiful eggs almost every day and she suffered with the nastiest case of pasty butt and prolaspe you have ever seen.

4. sj3364

Apr 21, 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Thanks for the advise. I'll be getting some prep h in the morning and start treating her with that.

5. MydearWatson

MydearWatson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    I found the sugar water helped even more than the prep H! you might want to just try that first. Good luck to you!

6. sj3364

Apr 21, 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Thanks. I got the prep h and will be trying the sugar water today. I also added a little molasses to her drinking water. I read in another thread that helps with constipation. It really seams like she is constipated, too. I also noticed her crop is really full. I massaged that a little bit. Poor chicky.

I got 2 chicks to keep each other company and I've had to keep them separated most of the time. I let them out to play together and they sleep right next to each other on opposite sides of the hardware cloth screen. So cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by