Vent Problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by IaBlueGal, Dec 6, 2016.

1. IaBlueGal

IaBlueGal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2015
    Please help me! When I washed off the glob of droppings from my hens fanny, I found this protruding from her cloaca. I haven't noticed anything else unusual; her appetite seems to be alright. I have 6 other hens, however, so I can`t be 100% sure. What is it & what should I do?

Thank you!
    Diane

[​IMG]

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Cant see.Whats coming out from her butt?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could the white thing be a deflated egg membrane? That can be fairly common in some hens if an egg breaks inside. I would pull it out.

4. SnarkyRTL

SnarkyRTL New Egg

Dec 7, 2016
    My wife noticed our RIR was acting a little funny last week. and she had the same vent problem as your bird. When I looked deep inside I saw something that looked a little like a tumor, so I gently tugged at it and it came free! It was a partially formed egg shell all bunched up. We took it out, wiped her off and she's been back to normal (and laying normal eggs) since!

5. IaBlueGal

Apr 8, 2015
    Thank you,everyone! The object was soft & flexible, but as it dried, became hardened, almost like a mini rawhide dog chew. So I suppose maybe it could be a deflated egg. When I tugged on it a bit, it didn't want to come out & I was afraid to pull too hard. Tomorrow, I will attempt to pull it out & see what happens. She is acting completely normal otherwise. Thanks again!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  6. IaBlueGal

Apr 8, 2015
    Good news! On inspection this morning, my hen had passed the object on her own! I'm so relieved! Thanks again for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by