Vent problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LUandSI, Feb 21, 2013.

1. LUandSI

LUandSI New Egg

Jun 17, 2012
    I came home last evening from caring after my sick father for a few days, while my friend fed my chicks, to find one of my girls with a real yucky bottom. She's always laid kind of weak, soft eggs that have recently been showing a ring of blood. My friend at the feed store says as long as she's eating, drinking and playing, it may just be her nature.
    I went to inspect her this morning, her vent is red and swollen and pulsating, although she has already laid today. It appears to be slightly leaking as well. I've separated her from the flock and I'm watching her closely. She is still eating and drinking and not acting sick. Could it be an infection?

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I would apply some honey or preparation-h to her vent. keep her warm in a dark place - hopefully all will be well!

Good luck

Suzie

3. LUandSI

LUandSI New Egg

Jun 17, 2012
    Thank you. I have a good sized dog crate I can put her in and bring her into the basement for a few days. I read that feeding her wheat and water as well as keeping her in a dark spot will stop her from laying. My only concern is that I live in NH and I'd be afraid I would force her to molt. That would be a problem, especially with another storm on the way;). What are your thoughts?

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I personally would take each issue as it comes - the concern right now is for her to heal from the problems she is having with her vent...if she does moult after.... you can deal with that situation if it arises - meanwhile a dog crate is an excellent idea to keep her in.

Good luck and keep us informed of her progress.

Suzie

5. LUandSI

LUandSI New Egg

Jun 17, 2012
    Thank you, Suzie. She is in the house and although she doesn't "appear" to be ill, her butt is a mess. Looks like it's getting worse. I think it may be an infection. Put a call in to the vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by