Vent problems, help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bops, Aug 22, 2013.

1. bops

bops Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Ireland
    [​IMG]
    My 3 year old light sussex hen looked very gloomy when i went in. She was standing beside the water bowl, with her crop resting on the rim. I looked below, and i saw the problem. I put my hand on her back and she slowly walked away, which is unusual, for her whole life ( born here ) she never liked being touched, or even people coming near her. She would always run away.
    I brought her inside, and tried to "remove" the problem, it wasnt going anywhere. I tried hot water aswell but that didnt do anything. So i cut off the problematic feathers, and wiped with some wet tissues. I put her in a nest box, she stayed standing, still looking unhappy.

What should i do?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have a couple that get like that. Cutting the feathers off, then washing the rest off is a start. I would give either plain yogurt or probiotics, plus put ACV (with mother) in the water-- 1 tablespoonful per gallon. A bit of garlic in the feed or water is good, too. Then if she hasn't been wormed recently, I would worm her.

3. bops

bops Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Ireland
    She has never had any injections or doses or anything in her whole life! What should i get for her? Names would be handy!

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have an organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar with the "mother" in it in Ireland? We use Bragg's brand here mostly, but there should be a brand available there. Plain unsweetened yogurt with live cultures, any brand is good. As for wormers, we use many brands, but in Ireland, you have one called Flubenvet that I have heard of. Probiotics should be easy to find--use the ones for humans, but the yogurt is just fine in place of that. Fresh garlic or garlic powder is good once a week in the feed. Sometimes when they get the dirty bottom, it is thought that their system has gotten out of balance, and they are prone to fungus overgrowth in their bodies. All of these things would be good to get her back on track.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  5. bops

bops Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Ireland
    Thanks! Very helpful:) Hopefully it will work, she hasnt moved from the nest box since earlier, fingers crossed!

6. bops

bops Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Ireland
    No clue about the apple cider but ill find out:)

7. bops

bops Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Ireland
    Do i just give them the apple cider to drink? Thanks:)

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The vinegar is put into the drinking water--1 tablespoonful per gallon to acidify it. That is supposed to help prevent sour crop and generally improve their health. There are also vitamins and probiotics in it. Be sure and not add it to metal waterers since it causes them to rust and will leach out harmful chemicals from the metal.

9. bops

bops Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Ireland
    Very helpul:) thanks
    Especially because out of the four water bowls two are metal:)
    Unfortunately the hen died earlier. But now at least i can prevent **whatever happened to her** or at least try to treat them straightaway.
    Thanks for all the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by