Vent Prolapse? (graphic picture)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LemonDragon, Nov 22, 2016.

1. LemonDragon

LemonDragon Just Hatched

Nov 22, 2016
    [​IMG]

sorry for the awful picture. Im not sure if this is the start of a vent prolapse? I was out of town for a month and the neighbor had been taking care of my small flock (4 birds). . . he said that there had been a large egg with some blood on it, but that it only happened once. Today she laid an egg that came along with some blood also. . . Since i've been home i notice the other girls picking on this one, and then i find this upon closer inspection. Obviously i will separate her from the flock, (for how long?)....and get her cleaned up. . . as far as diagnosis and treatment goes, i'm a little stumped. Was thinking neosporin and preparation H if this is indeed a prolapse, or the start of one. . i'm thinking its not vent gleet, but i only examined her for about 5 minutes before i came to the ol google machine. . . . any help, as quickly as possible, would be so much appreciated.

thank you in advance.

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    The pic didn't work for me.

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    If she does have a prolapsed vent this video will show you how to fix it.

4. LemonDragon

LemonDragon Just Hatched

Nov 22, 2016
    its not nearly as bad as in the video, i think it may be the start. the pic comes through on my chrome browser. she just got a bath with mild soap, and then a soak with epsom, dried her off gently and applied prep H and neosporin. if the pic does come through, the left side that looks like dried blood looks much better, but it is a big giant scab. I think she was getting picked on pretty badly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by