Vent Prolapse Not Healing! Graphic pics!

HilaryAkin

Songster
May 23, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
So, I posted about this several days ago when I first noticed the prolapse and received a lot of help but still struggling over here. I have isolated my hen in a crate, bathe her in epsom salt, apply witch hazel, use vet. spray, antibacterial cream then finally hydrocortisone cream. Still no improvement. I am trying to keep her but clean but I feel like I’m just irritating it more and it’s super crusty even after her bath and gently scrubbing her bottom. She seems red and swollen all over her abdomen and above her vent, which is a newer symptom. She’s not eating unless it’s mealworms, yogurt or eggs, and I have to give her water with a dropper. When I let her outside to free range alone she seems quite active and happy to be outside but other than that, zero improvement, just a more angry looking backside. Then, as I was taking pics to post here, she dropped whatever that is out of her vent onto the towel. What is it?

Please, please help! I love my Pepper and need her to make it!

Attachments

• 99246212-64E9-404A-9137-CF1F5A99AD54.jpeg
    99246212-64E9-404A-9137-CF1F5A99AD54.jpeg
    581.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 1EB354DC-3169-46F8-AA5A-F39BD364A5AC.jpeg
    1EB354DC-3169-46F8-AA5A-F39BD364A5AC.jpeg
    568.8 KB · Views: 13
  • D6F6E98F-6868-49AA-B077-8A87FFAEC300.jpeg
    D6F6E98F-6868-49AA-B077-8A87FFAEC300.jpeg
    425.8 KB · Views: 13
  • D292D077-AE5B-471A-B832-9871EBD27AD2.jpeg
    D292D077-AE5B-471A-B832-9871EBD27AD2.jpeg
    530.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 723A8659-04EC-4E29-AFE2-88139F42797E.jpeg
    723A8659-04EC-4E29-AFE2-88139F42797E.jpeg
    706.8 KB · Views: 13
So, I posted about this several days ago when I first noticed the prolapse and received a lot of help but still struggling over here. I have isolated my hen in a crate, bathe her in epsom salt, apply witch hazel, use vet. spray, antibacterial cream then finally hydrocortisone cream. Still no improvement. I am trying to keep her but clean but I feel like I’m just irritating it more and it’s super crusty even after her bath and gently scrubbing her bottom. She seems red and swollen all over her abdomen and above her vent, which is a newer symptom. She’s not eating unless it’s mealworms, yogurt or eggs, and I have to give her water with a dropper. When I let her outside to free range alone she seems quite active and happy to be outside but other than that, zero improvement, just a more angry looking backside. Then, as I was taking pics to post here, she dropped whatever that is out of her vent onto the towel. What is it?

Please, please help! I love my Pepper and need her to make it!
So sorry you are going through this! I’ve never dealt with prolapse before but I’ll tag some people who can hopefully help.

@azygous
@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive

I agree, it looks like lash egg to me as well.

You can try giving her 1 Calcium Citrate tablet daily to help with contractions and see if she can push more material out and retain the prolapse.
It's not uncommon for there to be a crusty buildup when there's swelling and prolapse. Keeping the crust and tissue moist with ointment or oil it will sometimes come on off once the prolapse goes in.
Unfortunately, with Salpingitis, the outlook is not that positive. Some do give antibiotics to help with infection, but they are part of supportive care and not a cure. Amoxicillin is a good choice to give.

I agree, it looks like lash egg to me as well.

You can try giving her 1 Calcium Citrate tablet daily to help with contractions and see if she can push more material out and retain the prolapse.
It's not uncommon for there to be a crusty buildup when there's swelling and prolapse. Keeping the crust and tissue moist with ointment or oil it will sometimes come on off once the prolapse goes in.
Unfortunately, with Salpingitis, the outlook is not that positive. Some do give antibiotics to help with infection, but they are part of supportive care and not a cure. Amoxicillin is a good choice to give.
I am keeping her segregated and one calcium tablet every 12 hrs right now and for the last several days. Is it common to have the prolapse and salpingitis at the same time? Is salpingitis contagious and so keep her segregated even if prolapse clears up? Read about it and it definitely doesn’t sound good for my girl :( I have antibiotics on the way.

It's not really contagious, but it's not uncommon for more than one hen in a flock to suffer from the condition, especially if they had a shared respiratory disease or infection.

A hen can have a prolapse for a number of reasons. She may have more of that material inside and is straining to push it out. Salpingitis is inflammation of the oviduct, so it may not be functioning very well.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/

Back
Top Bottom