1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vent Prolapse *PICS* HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MattH, Sep 3, 2016.

1. MattH

MattH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015
    Culpeper, VA
    I went to close up my coop tonight and noticed one of my hens with an odd looking butt. Can anyone identify this problem.. And what can I do to correct it? It is only about an inch (1") right now..

[​IMG]

2. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Is that blood dripping down? If you haven't already done so I would remove her now and get her in a warm epsom salt bath to clean that off. Was she acting odd today? In the nesting box a lot? Did she lay an egg? I would check for a stuck egg by inserting a gloved finger 1-2 inches. That prolapse needs to be cleaned, coated with honey or preparation h and pushed back in. You may need to hold it there for a bit and repeat as needed. It's very important to keep her clean and the prolapse moist. Both honey and prep h will help reduce swelling. The blood may be from being pecked as other chickens will be very attracted to that. They could kill her so separating her is necessary. Let us know how it goes.

3. MattH

MattH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015
    Culpeper, VA
    Yes that is blood. I will remove her tonight.. Soak her in warm soapy water (I don't have any Epsom salt) I will put neosporene on her butt (I don't have prep H) I hope all these substitutes will work.. I wasn't around today to watch her behavior. I will leave her inside our house with her original brooder with food and water with electrolytes.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  4. MattH

MattH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015
    Culpeper, VA
    I actually found some empsom salt, I soaked her and wiped the area clean. It already looks much better.. I do have alittle honey. Should I use Vaseline or Neosporene instead? I do not have any prep H. I have her in her brooder in the garage right now.. As soon as she dries alittle more and I get some better guidance on the right remedy to use on her bum I will apply it.

[​IMG]

5. chickcrack

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Wow it actually looks good. Can you see a peck mark? Did you try feeling for an egg? I would just try honey as it should work for swelling and has anti bacterial properties. Is she maybe being bullied by some of her flock mates?

6. MattH

MattH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015
    Culpeper, VA
    Yes, I felt for an egg.. I stuck my pinky finger all the way in and felt nothing and I cannot see any peck marks. I'm glad I caught this early and am very thankful for your help. She may be getting bullied.. I see them most during the evening when I let them free roam.. They mainly keep to themselves.. Unless Henry (the roo) wants to mate. I will try the honey and let it soak in overnight. How often should I reapply/ check for poop buildup/ clean affected area? Also, how long until I can let her in with the rest of the flock again?

7. chickcrack

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    If her bum is still clean this morning and everything seems tucked inside I suggest putting her out in a seperate cage if possible. Let her see the flock but protected from them. Would be best to continue to monitor her poop, food/water consumption today and ensure the prolapse doesn't reoccur. Keep her in a shady spot in the run if you can . If I was dealing with this I would only reintroduce once I knew everything was resolved and monitor the flocks interactions with her as that looked like a nasty peck from someone. Hope she is well this morning!

8. MattH

MattH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015
    Culpeper, VA
    Her bum is nice and clean this morning, looks just like the picture from last night after I cleaned her up. There is evidence of her pooping, which is a good sign and her bum is still clean.. Nothing backing up. I applied some more Vaseline this morning and she is still in the brooder. I have to go away for a few hours but when I return I will release her back with the rest of the flock, and monitor everyone's behavior. Thanks for everyone's help!

9. chickcrack

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Awesome news :)
    Catching that so early made a huge difference for her so great job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by