Vent prolapse - we are on day 3

janyfamily

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2017
We have a hen with what I think is a prolapsed vent. The day we found it, the tissue was 3x this size, red and bleeding. We have had her soak in a warm bath with epson salts 2x a day and applied aquaphor, (b/c that is what we had), and applied witch hazel. I thought I had gotten the vent pushed back in...on day 2, and awoke to discover her looking like this, this morning (day 3). Is this just dead tissue I should scrub away? Or is this her prolapsed tissue all dried out? She is eating, drinking, pooping and acting relatively normal, except her poop does have an off smell to it. We have her separated out from the rest of the flock in a dog crate in the garage.... Thanks in advance!

IMG_2349.JPG

Last edited:
It looks smaller in the later pics. Did some of it go back inside? It looks black or necrotic as if the tissue dried out. I would try soaking her again and after she has soaked 20 minutes, try to debride it with a wash cloth to get the black tissue off, making it bleed slightly or until younsee pink healthy tissue. Then be sure to keep it moist with Neosporin ointment.

Back
Top Bottom