1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vent prolapse?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChucktheChick, Jan 30, 2015.

1. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Hey guys-

My friend has a white leghorn named Fifi. She was found the other day out in the yard frozen and lethargic. She found Fifi laying there, brought her in and found she had blood all over her rear. Whenever she tried to go poo, more blood came out. This has happened twice now. The second time, Fifi pooped blood and what looked like an organ coming out. She let Fifi lay in the box overnight, and when she checked on Fifi in the morning, she was fine! She cleaned all the dried blood off of her. We really don't want there to be a third time. Anyone know what this is and how to help it?!? Thanks all in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She probably is being attacked by the other chickens and being vent pecked. Sometimes there can be a prolapsed vent that will attract the others to start pecking, but that doesn't always cause it. Over crowding, being kept inside and not getting let out in bad weather, boredom, and not enough protein in thediet can be causes. Sometimexs there are just over aggressive bullies, that need to be removed from the flock. This hen needs to be isolated until her vent heals. Epsom salt warm soaks may help to heal heal, and Vetericyn can be applied or sprayed on the vent.

3. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Thank you eggcessive! Anyone else know how to cure vent prolapse?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by