Vent- protecting chickens is a lot of thinking....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kuulgrl, Dec 28, 2013.

1. kuulgrl

kuulgrl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Yesterday, we pulled in the drive and while my husband was unloading I went to check on the chickens (free range). As I'm walking to the coop I see movement, that isn't chicken. It's a opossum snooping around the coop. Surprised me since I've never seen one during day light/dusk, only at night.

So I grabbed the shovel I keep behind the coop and start swatting at him to get him out from under the coop. He makes a break for it and I pin him under the shovel. I managed to pick the darn thing up by the scruff (it was kinda small, maybe 5-7 lbs) to show my husband. So he dispatched the opossum for me and the chickens were all safe. ;-)

Today, I see something brown in the road in front of my house and just know, someone hit one of the girls. :-( I have no idea what happened. So sad.

Anyone have any ideas for keeping them away from the road?

2. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

When free ranging chickens go where ever they want to go. The only thing to keep them off the road would be a fence.

3. sandovaljose214

sandovaljose214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2013
    fence

4. kuulgrl

kuulgrl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Looks like it's just another way I'll have to expect losses. :-( Even if I fenced along the road, they would just walk down the driveway. I love that it's rural here and I don't Need a fence like I probably would in the city.

Maybe I can get chicken crossing signs put up, kinda like deer crossing. ;-) I doubt the county would spring for that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by