1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

vent sexing please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by raymondjames, Oct 14, 2011.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    one of my chicks has become VERY comfortable with me, and will willingly let me hold him/her and pet him/her. The other one... not so much but that doesnt matter [​IMG]
    anyways since their too old for faether sexing, does anybody have successful experience in vent sexing. I dont even know where to find its butt [​IMG] and was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction so i can know their gender.
    thanks in advance!!

random update!: YAY im out of the brooder!! 50 posts

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi raymondjames,

unfortunately vent sexing can only be done when chicks are day old. It's a complicated business and takes many years to learn (apparently). [​IMG]

If you keep an eye on the combs you can often tell at 3 weeks of age, because boy combs will be wider and have started to pink up (if it's a red-combed bird) whereas girls' combs will still be yellow. This only works at week 3, then it too becomes harder to tell.

Good luck!

3. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    [​IMG]

well their geting close because their one week old... wish vent sexing worked anytime

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by